No announcement yet.

Les Paul with headstock repair value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Dean of Loverboy was the first guy I ever heard mention that his guitars sounded better after the neck was broken and repaired. So when Hondo (yes, Hondo) put out a Paul Dean Signature model, the neck was made in 3 pieces and glued together again with small voids routed under the fingerboard to replicate losing little pieces of wood during the repair.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      A repaired guitar (especially a broken headstock repair) is often BETTER than original. So unless we are talking a collectible, I see no reason for ding the price on a used guitar. If you want to be a jerk - 10% discount, but not 50. That's just stupid.
      Interesting, I figured the price was at least 30-40% lowered -but I've never sold one.

As an actual pro, in the classic Gibby breakpoint -do you dowel the headstock or just glue? I've done both -depending on the the thickness of the neck. I've never seen one rebreak.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Not being a luthier, I always wondered if the snapping off of a headstock turns up more on the tiltback Gibson design than any other. If it does, I wonder why that design hadn't been changes or reinforced (not just adding more wood) since this started happening. As someone who doesn't repair guitars, I only hear about Gibson's heads snapping off. Is it a design flaw? Or are people just less careful with a more substantial guitar?
        Because "heritage" and "traditions", that's why... On a serious note, I'd say it's a design thing. If I recall well, the headstock is tilted 17 degrees, they insist on making the neck and headstock from one piece (so no scarf joint like for example Jacksons) and refuse to carve a volute (like for example ESP). Together with the truss rod's channel routed out, only some minimal wood is left under the nut area of the guitar,. Tasked with handling the tension of the strings, the thin layer of wood gives in easier. I believe Epiphones have a 14 degree angle and that alone makes a big difference.

Comment

So a more severe angle made out of 1 piece of wood is more fragile from a design standpoint?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

As an actual pro, in the classic Gibby breakpoint - do you dowel the headstock or just glue? I've done both -depending on the the thickness of the neck
            The repair depends on severity of the break. I've never used dowels, but I used to install splines in the really bad ones. However, thanks to discussions with other pros on the Official Luthiers Forum I've given them up. They are a lot of work, adding time and expense to the repair - while adding very little provable strength to the repair. I had planned to use splines on that Peavey bass, but thought I would try it without and see. If it broke again, I could always reglue and insert splines. I didn't have to, it held beautifully. Made my turnaround time very short, as the longest part of the repair was touching up the finish. I did veneer the face of the peghead to cover the break and make it look nice. The client liked it and didn't mind that the Peavey decal was gone.

Unless the client wants the repair hidden, I also stopped using color during the touch-up so the actual repair could be seen. I was influenced by the thoughts of antique auto restorers who realized a car is only original once (so stop making them look better than new), and kustom car builders who stopped painting sheet metal work to show off their skills. In my case - the repair is not hidden, so there is no question. You can see what I did, and judge for yourself.

Here's a 335 I did a couple years ago. The break was bad, and the finish touchup to the repair was very noticeable - but the client was super happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              So a more severe angle made out of 1 piece of wood is more fragile from a design standpoint?
              Yes, that is my understanding. It makes the part bearing the most tension the thinnest piece of wood.

Comment

The shorter the piece of material, the stiffer. This is why a bolt-on neck is so strong, and peghead affixed using a scarf joint is so strong.

Comment

It seems like a re-design is warranted. But I am guessing that doesn't happen, because 'tradition'.

Comment

Unless the client wants the repair hidden, I also stopped using color during the touch-up so the actual repair could be seen. I was influenced by the thoughts of antique auto restorers who realized a car is only original once (so stop making them look better than new), and kustom car builders who stopped painting sheet metal work to show off their skills. In my case - the repair is not hidden, so there is no question. You can see what I did, and judge for yourself.

Here's a 335 I did a couple years ago. The break was bad, and the finish touchup to the repair was very noticeable - but the client was super happy.

Thanks, nice repair! I've never considered not trying to match and hide it before -those are good thoughts.

I think I've done about 4 or 5 over the years -mostly for broke friends.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It seems like a re-design is warranted. But I am guessing that doesn't happen, because 'tradition'.
                      I'd be interested to hear what you have in mind.
                      Basically - it's a stick with strings.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

Well I guess I’m a luthier.
                        You are Lex Luthier
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I am not a luthier - but have played a couple broke neck Les Pauls in my time.

My understanding:

Broken headstock is tough, broken neck is easy
                          Diagonal break is better (more glue/surface) than a straight break
                          And as with all wood work done right - the break will end up stronger than surrounding wood

As for Price - I'm thinking that is based on
                          - Value of the guitar without
                          - Nature of the break (headstock vs neck)
                          - Quality (or a appearance of quality) of the repair

And yeah - 10% - 20% off what it would be seems reasonable.

I'd really want to play first....

Comment

Paul Dean of Loverboy was the first guy I ever heard mention that his guitars sounded better after the neck was broken and repaired. So when Hondo (yes, Hondo) put out a Paul Dean Signature model, the neck was made in 3 pieces and glued together again with small voids routed under the fingerboard to replicate losing little pieces of wood during the repair.
                            This sounds like self justification. 3 necks in a blind listening would likely prove this pure BS.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear what you have in mind.
                              Basically - it's a stick with strings.
                              I wish I was an engineer sometimes. This is the kind of problem I'd solve.

Comment

I like the way Ibanez does it with long strips going the leanth of the neck

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210227-141520_Chrome.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	6060805
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X