No announcement yet.

Les Paul with headstock repair value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly scarf joints became so associated with cheaper imports over time that some can't acknowledge it's a superior design.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      Sadly scarf joints became so associated with cheaper imports over time that some can't acknowledge it's a superior design.
      Yeah, I was expecting ICT to drop some deep knowledge on his issue with Scarf joints -or anybody really -other than the traditional opinion of disliking them because they are not traditional (Scarfs originally emerged in cheaper guitars If I'm not mistaken)... as from my experience, they are superior by most measure unless the time to make the neck is your measure for not a good method -which I don't factor that at all.

Leo Fender avoided all of this mess with an even cheaper and more innovative methodology of course -but with some small downsides too.

I'm open to being educated on Scarf joints by anyone with experience. -I don't have a strong opinion either way.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Now I'm curious what Greeny might have sold for, if the headstock and neck had not been repaired. I seem to recall it being listed on the Maverick Music website for 2 million USD. It was only on there a few weeks. I don't know if someone actually paid that or if Phil just took the listing down.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
          Now I'm curious what Greeny might have sold for, if the headstock and neck had not been repaired. I seem to recall it being listed on the Maverick Music website for 2 million USD. It was only on there a few weeks. I don't know if someone actually paid that or if Phil just took the listing down.
          To my knowledge Kirk Wahmmett own that guitar

Comment

Yes, Kirk does own it now. It was 2006 when Greeny arrived at Maverick Music. Supposedly it passed thru a few different owners between Maverick and Kirk.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
              That particular guitar is worth what it is due to its past owners, not the condition it is in.

Comment

Scarf joints haven't proven themselves superior. They are EQUAL TO, as six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Stop using the word BEST, because there isn't one - it's a fantasy. What exists in the real world is PREFERENCE.

Leo didn't use scarf joints because it was easier - saving production time.
                Scarf joints developed because they saved money on wood, and they had plenty of production time.
                Last edited by ICTGoober; 02-28-2021, 11:42 PM.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Have you ever built any lutes?

Comment

Have you ever built any lutes?
                    Nope. A number of solidbody guitars from scratch, one Martin acoustic kit (for a client who purchased it), and a Celtic Harp kit (for a client who purchased it).
                    95 percent of my work is repairing, refinishing, modifying, and maintaining.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Scarf joints developed because they saved money on wood
                      And I guess this made them ubiqitous on cheaper guitars, which connection eventually gave them their bad reputation.

As a side note/question: I always thought that Fenders have one piece neck and headstock and Leo's way of getting rid of the tilt-back headstock was the straight headstock with staggered tuners, not by using a scarf joint. Or am I misunderstanding something in your post?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        I feel off a cliff with my Lester in a gig bag, landed on the guitar and the guitar came up smelling like roses.
                        Yeah, but the neck was broken and the bottle of rosewater in the outer pocket of the gig bag was smashed.

: D
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yeah, but the neck was broken and the bottle of rosewater in the outer pocket of the gig bag was smashed.

: D
                          Actually, I broke an e string and the pickup selector switch cover broke. My shoulder still hurts sometimes where the switch drove into my shoulder.

Comment

I've experience one broken headstock, and it was on my Precision Guitar Kits SG Jr. I shared the repair experience here. The break was clean but the crack too small to get any glue in it so I ended up snapping the whole thing off and gluing it back on. Worked out really well and has held strongly since. I took my time with to make it right.

I have an 80's Kramer Baretta with a scarf joint. It's held strong. The neck is from the ESP era. The pre ESP era necks had issues with their scarf joints for a time. Mild proof that any work is as good as how it is done. My Dean ML has a scarf joint as well. No issues with it.

Gibson actually did put volutes on their necks in the 70's. And the purists cried about it. Another of those, "damned if you do, damned if you don't", items for them. If they did a scarf joint on the necks, we'd all hear those same cries. I would think with the Original and Modern series guitars, they could at least put a volute on the Modern series models.

Fender necks are straight because they are not only easier to make, but offer better tuning stability where the strings have less of a break angle left or right coming out of the nut (especially when using the traditional vibrato). The 6 in line tuners offer a straighter path. Staggered tuners didn't become available until years and years later, maybe the 90's? (I could be wrong here).

Comment

Scarf joints haven't proven themselves superior. They are EQUAL TO, as six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Stop using the word BEST, because there isn't one - it's a fantasy. What exists in the real world is PREFERENCE.
                              I guess you are addressing a different post, but I used the phrase "superior by most measures". -In that they do no suffer the short grain problems or butt joints of a traditional neck -which is the only reason anyone even cares about this topic -they don't want a classic Gibson broken headstock issue.

Am I wrong in that? I don't think so, but I'm all ears, however I'm guessing you either think this idea of short grain problems is overplayed in general as a reason to choose a scarf joint?

Leo didn't use scarf joints because it was easier - saving production time.
                              Scarf joints developed because they saved money on wood, and they had plenty of production time.
                              Of course, I didn't imply otherwise -I said he avoided the whole argument entirely with his methodology -and that was Leo's MO on anything related to guitar making that wasn't electronics related. It was brilliant combination of using innovation and smarts with his business acumen as usual -Country, Blues, and Rock didn't require the admirable but traditional techniques of 19th Century luthier artistry to deliver a solid body electric sound and playability -So Leo leveraged that.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular. I was just..... pontificating as per normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X