No announcement yet.

Does anyone own “duplicate” guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was actively playing/touring I had a couple guitars that were close, but not exactly the same - e.g., same model but one with a hardtail and one with a trem or one model with a maple cap and the other solid mahogany. They all had different pickups, though.

Now I'm more in the variety-is-the-spice-of-life mindset, both with respect to guitars and amps.
    DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

CSB - Stock PG / Custom Wound 9k PG
      Black - Stock DMT pickups
      SB - Duncan Distortion Set
      PB - Stock Dean / JB
      White - PG / Custom
      Tiger - Stock dean (soon to be A2P's)
      Poolside shot, Nice.

is the pink one the de facto Steve Dallas signature?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Poolside shot, Nice.

is the pink one the de facto Steve Dallas signature?
        No. It is very "on brand" though. There is actually a Steve Dallas designed sig model waiting in the wings. As soon as Dean signs him. Until then....

(The Mesa is Dallas'. The back line belongs to Steve Lynch/Autograph)

Last edited by Aceman; 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You guys opened for Autograph?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            There is a lot of overlap in these too. 73, 74, 79 with SD, SD, DD in the bridges on the first three.

So left to right

Same pickup as Custom
            Same color as the Standard
            and Two standards

All with high output pups...and a PAF/T-Top in the necks of the Standards. Custom only has bridge wired.

As much as you do for Dean, I have no idea why they wouldn't want a deal with you.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              You guys opened for Autograph?
              And Lita Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

As much as you do for Dean, I have no idea why they wouldn't want a deal with you.
                Hey - Dimebag was a huge Ace Frehley fan too. Look at all his sig models! And Schenker....we all know the original V was Gibson.

Comment

I've got 4 of the same general family (Ibanez ART series), of which 2 are the same model (300, which are the 2 on the left in the attqched photo). The other two have 99% of the same in specs as the 300s - the only difference being the top woods. The two 300s have maple tops, the 400 (center right) has a Koa top, and the 420 (right) has a spalted maple top.

What's interesting is that while they all have the same nominal specs besides the top woods as i mentioned, they each have slightly different dimensions in one way or the other. For example, the 420 has the thickest neck, followed by the black 300, then the brown 300, and finally the 400 with the thinnest neck. The 400 also the thinnest body, and going in increasing order, the two 300s, and the 420 having the thickest body.

I am working towards setting each one up to serve a distinct role. The 400 - being the rarest (made only for one year in 2009 and having Koa) - will remain stock (in case it increases in value) with its active pups and be my metal guitar in standard tuning. The black 300 is already setup as my guitar tuned to Eb/Drop C#, although I plan to replace the stock pups with some others YTBD, but PAF like. The brown 300 will also get passive pups and be set to Modal D tuning - which will be friendly for Open D, E, and Em tuning w just a change in tuning of 1 or 2 strings plus a capo, and finally the 420 will be setup for classic / hard rock tones in Standard tuning with the pups changed out to some kind of PAFs.

I discovered the brown 300 first out of the bunch back in 2014 and fell in love with the ergonomics, aesthestics and tone (for thrash metal at that time) .
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    I have several duplicates/triplicates, etc. No two guitars are identical but I try to have them for redundancy and in some case slight variations. If I find something I really like I usually end up with a few of them. The woods may differ or some may have a trem while others don't etc but I like finding my happy guitar place and meandering about with that particular model. I also have multiples for various tunings, etc. More is always better IMO.
                    I think very similarly. Find a model that you really gel with, and buy more of it to do the different tunings you need to play in, replace pickups in some to cover different genres, etc. See my post earlier in this thread.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

I think very similarly. Find a model that you really gel with, and buy more of it to do the different tunings you need to play in, replace pickups in some to cover different genres, etc. See my post earlier in this thread.
                      Especially when different string gauges are required. I have a cheapo modded Ibanez TMB30 bass set up for big strings and C tuning and I fully intend on buying another to mod the same way and set up for E.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

Especially when different string gauges are required. I have a cheapo modded Ibanez TMB30 bass set up for big strings and C tuning and I fully intend on buying another to mod the same way and set up for E.
                        Definitely. For example, i like lite gauges for Standard tuning (9-42), and being lite, they don't hold up so well for drop tunings. So even on my guitar tuned to Eb/Drop C#, i'm using 10-46 gauge.

Comment

Yeah - Half of those Caddy's are in E, half in Eb
                          Same with the Les Pauls.

All 10's except the Frehley, which has Ace appropriate 9's

Comment

Got five electrics currently all different flavors: PRS C22, LP Firebrand, Hum sing sing Strat, Charvel SS w/Floyd and a Slick "Tele". I wouldn't mind some kind of 335 type to round out the herd.

Comment

I feel like at one point I had two of the same thing, but they’re all pretty radically different now (aside from 2 Strats).
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9676032-21E4-4187-8288-74DF5979CC68.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6062662

Just these two. A lovely pair of Tokai LS116f. Both started life with a pair of SD 59’s, but amber has a Slash set, and cherry has one of the original Custom Shop Bonamassa sets.
                                Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                                X