Woodwork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodwork.

When using dowel for filling in control cavities, how stable is the job (assuming the job is done correctly), has anybody ever had an issue with such a repair job "popping out"?

Properly executed glue joints are stronger than the wood parts they connect
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Properly executed glue joints are stronger than the wood parts they connect
      Which involves some serious well-placed clamps, in my experience doing various household repairs.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
        When using dowel for filling in control cavities, how stable is the job (assuming the job is done correctly), has anybody ever had an issue with such a repair job "popping out"?
        Could you clarify? Are you talking about filling in the whole Les Paul, or Strat cavity? Or are you talking about plugging one pot hole? (Potentiometer hole.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Could you clarify? Are you talking about filling in the whole Les Paul, or Strat cavity? Or are you talking about plugging one pot hole? (Potentiometer hole.)
          Just the pot holes. In the case of a l-r conversion or just making one hole "go away" - in most cases, removing tone control.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

Just the pot holes. In the case of a l-r conversion or just making one hole "go away" - in most cases, removing tone control.
            I usually use plastic or chrome plugs, like handlebar plugs or fender plugs on a motorcycle fender
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Plugging a hole sounds simple but it's actually quite difficult. You need a tight fitting plug to begin with, but not so tight that the glue won't hold. Clamping down the plug is almost impossible.

I always use titebond first, then superglue to flood the top and plasticize the plug's front. If I have to drill a hole again for studs, I let the glue dry for 24 hours and drill with a super-sharp bit. I have trems that are super-stable with plugged holes and trems that are a nightmare without plugs. So in short, it doesn't matter if it's a plugged hole or not

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                Plugging a hole sounds simple but it's actually quite difficult. You need a tight fitting plug to begin with, but not so tight that the glue won't hold. Clamping down the plug is almost impossible.

I always use titebond first, then superglue to flood the top and plasticize the plug's front. If I have to drill a hole again for studs, I let the glue dry for 24 hours and drill with a super-sharp bit. I have trems that are super-stable with plugged holes and trems that are a nightmare without plugs. So in short, it doesn't matter if it's a plugged hole or not
                This guy used epoxy. It didn't come out too badly.

Unfortunately, this page is from Google cache because he's recently shut his site down due to a move, but you can see what he did well enough.

Comment

Not bad, indeed. Touching it up with lacquer would be much harder but still doable because it's a black finish. No grains that need matching.

Comment

You'll run into an issue with the fact that dowels are end-grain, while the guitar body is face grain. They'll expand and contract at different rates, and eventually could leave a visible depression or raised surface.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                      You'll run into an issue with the fact that dowels are end-grain, while the guitar body is face grain. They'll expand and contract at different rates, and eventually could leave a visible depression or raised surface.

Larry
                      Not if I put them in SIDEWAYS! (Joke)

Comment

I'm watching this thread closely. I have the same issue with my old Vantage guitar. (Green arrow.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vantage_hole.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	6061806

Comment

I had similar operation done in 2015 to my guitar in order to fit an Ibanez Edge tremolo. The old holes were plugged with dowels and two new holes were drilled around those dowels in order to fit the tremolo posts. It has been good so far:

Comment

That's fine, especially when the work is going to be obscured by the trem (sometimes by the tuners), you don't need to be too concerned with how it affects the overall finish. The best part here is the posts are being held mostly by the original wood. I don't think you're going to have any issues with the dowels popping out of place here.

Comment

These are some great woodwork suggestions in this thread. I am looking to perform a similar woodworking chore like the OP & this thread was pretty useful. Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X