No announcement yet.

Warmoth Project #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hipshot tuners are excellent. Very popular replacement for old Yamaha basses. Their stock diecast tuning machines are notoriously heavy, and a set of Hipshots made a huge difference in weight relief.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I finished sanding last night. 1 hour with 2000 grit, and then Birchwood Casey Gun Stock wax. You wipe it on with a paper towel, let it sit for 10 minutes, and wipe it off. The neck feels like glass now without that 'sticky' feeling of plastic finishes.
      I do a similar procedure on my Music Man neck every year: sand with 600 and 1000 grit, clean with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then the Gun Stock Wax.

Today I will most likely get to the installation of the LSR nut, and the tuners. The holes for the nut are already drilled, and the tuners don't need additional holes.
      This morning I took my Warmoth build w/ a roasted maple neck and sanded the back of the neck with 800, then 1000, then 1500. I didn't sand as long as you did but it didn't take much to make it feel smooth as glass. It felt great when I got it but I should've sanded it then. It feels so much better now. About as good as my 20+ year-old and played Warmoth neck on the old frankenstrat. It was never sanded, just played a lot over the years.

Comment

Well, playing might achieve the same thing! All the sanding I did did not remove a lot of wood, but it certainly is crazy smooth now.

As far as the project goes, I got a case in the mail. It is a Gator Transit Series gig bag. The neck is sitting in the bag by itself, as the project is waiting for the body to be finished and shipped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81nUJdlzuiL._AC_SY879_.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	6067379
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why not round the fret ends while the neck is sitting around? You could do a few frets a day and have it done in a week!
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Those are killer bags. I have one of those for my Sub Ray4 bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Why not round the fret ends while the neck is sitting around? You could do a few frets a day and have it done in a week!
              I don't have the files for SS frets, and honestly, they are amazingly smooth. I can't see how they'd get better. If it bothers me, I will let one of my luthier friends have a crack at it.

Comment

I put a set of those tuners on my partscaster, only I went with plastic tulip buttons. (Super light!) They are very smooth and precise.

Comment

Yeah, I had tried another guitar with them, and was sold. With tuners, I like them light, staggered, with a higher ratio. These also have a cool mounting that can either use a set screw or not.

Comment

Read about it, then came across someone I knew selling it in a lot of parts. It is black, so it will match the hardware. I don't know if it is any better than a Switchcraft, as I've never directly compared. But it is a seriously industrial piece of hardware.
                    I'm guessing you mean Pure Tone. I've used them in a couple guitars now, and in a couple customers guitars. They're ok, but I think I'm going back to good ole Switchcraft's. I doubt the Pure Tone's have any sonic advantage, but they just feel clunky. On a guitar where the jack is mounted to the pickguard, I actually brace the pickguard with my other hand when I unplug the cable, because it feels like it wants to pull the screws out. On most guitars, this wouldn't be a problem. But I just like the "feel" of the Switchcrafts better. YMMV.

Comment

Yeah, time will tell. I thought I'd try. This will be a side jack, and I considered a Switchraft/ElectroSocket combo, but I didn't have the means to countersink it.

Comment

i have a teleish thing i built and i have killed the jack twice so i ordered a puretone to replace the intermittent/noisy one thats in there. curious how it will work out

Comment

Status report: bodies from Warmoth are taking an average of 12 weeks. That puts me at the 3-4 week of April.

Comment

Wow. It'll be worth the wait. Their showcase doesn't have much in it right now so custom order is pretty much the way to go for the time being until they get caught up on orders.

Comment

Status report: bodies from Warmoth are taking an average of 12 weeks. That puts me at the 3-4 week of April.
                              I bet my neck will be 12 weeks as well, since it’s got a finish.

I’ve got two more ideas I want to order but I want to see how this neck profile feels first.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

An update: the pickups came in today. So did the body. I took some pics of the pickups, so you can see. I will wait for some good sunlight to get a body pic, but it is stunning.

Name:	QCHD4004.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	6077383

Name:	pickups.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	6077384

Comment