Question about neck warping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about neck warping

This may seem like a stupid question but...

If i buy a guitar in june, and it needs a neck adjustment in december... if i just leave it being could it return to it's original condition when the seasons change and it is june again?

I would say no. As a guitar settles the changes from season to season will be less dramatic as the guitar ages. So I would not expect it to swing back precisely to where it was at.

Comment

It is not uncommon for guitar necks to need adjustment as the seasons change. Let's not forget that wood used to be a living thing, and it still responds to changes in humidity and barometric pressure. Expect to tweak the truss rod at least twice a year - in the spring, and in the fall. It shouldn't be a lot of movement.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I would say no. As a guitar settles the changes from season to season will be less dramatic as the guitar ages. So I would not expect it to swing back precisely to where it was at.
        If its a bolt on neck, my understanding (and experience backs this up) is that moisture enters the heel end and over time, this is what causes a ski/jump type imperfection at the heel.

I agree that after manufacture, there will be the biggest changes, but also that changes add up over time, season to season. I dont think its correct to say that if a neck is settled at the 5-year mark it will also be settled at the 15-year mark.

Comment

Are we talking about the truss rod needing adjustment? Or the neck truly warping? They are different in my mind, but I'm no expert. Some of my instruments get a truss rod tweak a few times every year, others seem to hold more steady throughout the year.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Truss rod adjustment, i meant, sorry. Thank you everyone!

Comment

My Ibanez 5 piece necks never move
              or if the did , I've never noticed
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Is this guitar sitting in the garage or on the porch?

How dramatic is the indoor temperature / humidity changes?

Adjust the Truss when it needs adjusted. If you are worried about this, and don't know how, now is the time to learn. YouTube will tell you all you will ever need to know. A seasonal truss change wouldn't be more than a quarter turn IMO, if that.

Unless you leave it on the porch in the rainy season and by the wood stove all winter...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My Iceman would swing seasonally for the first 3 -4 years then it settled down.

Comment

Most my guitars rarely, if ever, need a truss rod adjustment. Not sure if it's the climate where I live or what, but I am fine with it. One less thing to worry about. I have a 2002 RG (the one in my profile pic) that I have never touched the truss rod. Plays the same as the day I bought it new in 2002 and the neck is completely straight.

Comment

I change string gauges and tunings too often to notice seasonal changes.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

watch more than one truss rod video on Youtube
                        some of those guys are wrong
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My rgs have been very sturdy. I notice issues more with my one piece necks

Comment

watch more than one truss rod video on Youtube
                            some of those guys are wrong
                            Ya think?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

multipiece necks tend to be more stable

Comment

Working...
                              X