Slayer's Kerry King string tension confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    ^ Yeah well your proper guitarists can't improvise 4 part fugues like Bach so maybe they suck.
    I agree. To me, music is about just that. The music. In other words, great songs. Being a technically skilled player doesn't exclude you from writing great songs if your priorities and sensibilities are about serving great songs. Any musician, guitarist or otherwise of any skill level is very much doing it correctly if what they create with whatever skill or talent they have connects with or speaks to people on any significant level.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
      Being a technically skilled player doesn't exclude you from writing great songs if your priorities and sensibilities are about serving great songs.
      Now this is something I wholeheartedly agree with! To me, a guitarist and musician are not necessarily the same and I often find that people don't understand what I mean by that... Ideally, it's both. But many times we see an extraordinary guitarist, who can play ANYTHING, also backwards and in an upside down chair, but couldn't write a decent song for his his own life. Then there are many who excel at being creative with whatever less-than-perfect/jawdropping skillset they have. Kerry fits the latter group in my book. And that is perfectly fine.

As a kid I wanted to belong to the "guitarist" camp. Now I'd much rather be around 70% musician and just 30% shredder...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

As a kid I wanted to belong to the "guitarist" camp. Now I'd much rather be around 70% musician and just 30% shredder...
        I can't shred to save my life, but it's only been in the past few years that I've reconciled myself to that and become comfortable with playing what is within my technical range to play. That's not to say I don't push myself to grow. I can play metal rhythm decently fast, and I'm always looking to get better and tighter in that department. But those furious fast solos? I can't do 'em, and I'm OK with that. It doesn't mean I hate shredders. Far from it. But it would be a boring world in which everyone sounded the same and did the same things on guitar...

Comment

And then there's Dream Theater.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X