Slayer's Kerry King string tension confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    Kerry King wrote Black Magic and Hell Awaits, arguably the band's #2 and #3 most important songs (behind Angel of Death, of course). Calling him a hack just because of the silly jock-ish image he's put forth in the last 20 years is shortsighted.
    I don't agree with his view of King, but his comments have nothing to do with King's image. He's talking about King's guitar playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

Here's poor Kerry's fingers refusing to obey and is just like "nope screw this" and gives up. I do love the crowd rooting for him though. "We love you Kerry!"

Haha.

been there -especially cold outdoor gig.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
        Kerry King wrote Black Magic and Hell Awaits, arguably the band's #2 and #3 most important songs (behind Angel of Death, of course). Calling him a hack just because of the silly jock-ish image he's put forth in the last 20 years is shortsighted.
        Just because the guy wrote 2 songs you find amazing doesn't equate to him being a proper guitar player which is what I am referring to.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

^ Yeah well your proper guitarists can't improvise 4 part fugues like Bach so maybe they suck.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 03-23-2021, 11:52 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

^ Many can though.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Ya
              I bought them for you

Comment

^Tony Macalpine among one...lol...

Comment

Lol
                  I bought them for you

Comment

"proper guitar player"

Honestly that does NOT sound like something Kerry or Jeff were going for with Slayer.
                    Improper guitar players have more fun!,,,,,,like blonds yaknow!

IMO their leads and solos from South to Divine were indeed divine.
                    The live dvd from the Divine tour really does good at showing both of the masters fret-workings up close. It stays still sometimes so you can really appreciate their skill back then.

I absolutely love the great solo technical shredders like Satch, Vai, Tony, Marty, and newer guys also like Andy James and of course Chris Broderick, but I would not call them anymore "proper" than Kerry or Jeff, or James and Kirk, or you nor even myself.

IMO:
                    "The best musicians are those that can most splendidly impart whatever moods or emotions they intend to convey with their composition and performance."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      ^ Yeah well your proper guitarists can't improvise 4 part fugues like Bach so maybe they suck.
                      Alex Skolnick... Guthrie Govan...Malmsteen...Kiko Loureiro...Chris Broderick...Dave Davidson...Satriani...Vai.... Conan Gonzalez. Just a few from my list of "proper players" who could most definitely pull it off. And a ****ton of others who we don't even know by the name. Well maybe Davidson and Skolnick are too much of a jazz cats, but hey...

I once had a conversation in a bar with this random guy about guitar players:

"Ooooh, do you know Slash? He's the best guitar player in the entire world!" he goes.
                      "Oh yeah? What makes you think so?" I asked
                      ""Cuz he plays in Guns, he's my fave playa and whenever he gets a new guitar he disassemles and reassembles it"

I told him to get a set of screwdrivers and allen wrenches to facilitate his journey in becoming just as good as Slash then ended the conversation.

I really don't undersand why people have a hard time admiting that their idols or childhood heroes are not perfect or invincible. King is a mediocre player at best on the list of guitar gods, especially by today's standards. Does it change how instrumental he was in creating the band and a bunch of sub-genres.? Absolutely not! He is and will be a guitar god for a very long time. He's just not necessarily on the list for his capabilities as a guitarist, but rather for his creativity, his unque style and musical vision. Sure, he can be tight and precise, no way you play and records Slayer-like music while being sloppy. But go ask him about improvising those 4 part fugues (btw I think that improvisation is much more about theory than guitar playing, but whatever...).

Hetfield himself admitted once that the reason why you don't see them jam with virtuoso musicians is that they are not comfortable, not confident enough in their skills to keep up with a virtuoso. Does that strip them from their guitar/music/metal god status? Nothing will ever take that away from those guys. Or does his participation on several classic records make Kirk Hammett an excellent player? He is extremely sloppy, especially live. I still love the guy's playing to death. But the fact that he plays in one of my fave bands doesn't erase his flaws and weaknesses.

But long story short: we don't have to agree to everything, do we?
                      Last edited by nexion218; 03-24-2021, 05:00 AM.

Comment

My payout check just arrived in the mail and I wanted to thank the select few of you that helped make this windfall possible. You see, I placed a bet that this thread about the KK sig model's neck scale specs would devolve into a debate about KK's guitar skills. Thanks for all that you do! Lol, j.k.
                        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                          My payout check just arrived in the mail and I wanted to thank the select few of you that helped make this windfall possible. You see, I placed a bet that this thread about the KK sig model's neck scale specs would devolve into a debate about KK's guitar skills. Thanks for all that you do! Lol, j.k.
                          You see, the OP was pretty easily discussed , had to keep the thread alive somehow.

Speaking of which.... I can't recall what percent of the sum we agreed on if I help you to win by keeping the thread alive .... JK

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            Wait is THAT why the state of California just direct deposited a whopping 18 bucks to my debit card???
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Let's get back on topic, please.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

You see, the OP was pretty easily discussed , had to keep the thread alive somehow.

Speaking of which.... I can't recall what percent of the sum we agreed on if I help you to win by keeping the thread alive .... JK
                                Nice!
                                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                                X