X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alex1fly
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    How many springs are you using? If you load it up it should be stiffer, I use 5 on my Strat. When I get this floating Floyd setup I’m going to try at least 4 to begin with.

Those were a cool design, especially for doing things not like 80’s guitar heroes.
    I have 3 springs in the cavity, I think it came stock this way. With this little technique the tension doesn't change, but the feel does by changing the bar's position relative to the strings. Parallel to the strings = looser feel on the trem arm. Perpendicular to the strings = tighter feel. It can be a drastic difference, and I'm finding it to be quite musical - particularly having it closer to perpendicular to the strings because I don't dive bomb or do any of the squirrely Floyd tricks as much.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Those things are cool but a total different theory is applied here.
    I know, I meant utilizing a Floyd in a different way.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    I get it Alex, and I've known it for years... It's one of the reasons I don't care for Floyd's. Nothing wrong with them, they're freaking awesome.. just not my style.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    That’s cool, kind of reminds me of the U-bar the guys from Korn used on their Edge trems. It was a bar that sat directly over the bridge, so they could hit it without messing up the tuning.
    Those things are cool but a total different theory is applied here.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    How many springs are you using? If you load it up it should be stiffer, I use 5 on my Strat. When I get this floating Floyd setup I’m going to try at least 4 to begin with.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    That’s cool, kind of reminds me of the U-bar the guys from Korn used on their Edge trems. It was a bar that sat directly over the bridge, so they could hit it without messing up the tuning.
    Those were a cool design, especially for doing things not like 80’s guitar heroes.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    started a topic Mimic the Jazzmaster tremolo

Mimic the Jazzmaster tremolo

So at the end of January I made a conscious decision to play only ONE guitar for several weeks rather than switching often between instruments. Get to know it, be one with the instrument, make it sound/act like other instruments that I dig, yadda yadda. I've found a cool trick and wanted to share my discovery. A video would be great, but you'll have to use your imagination.

The guitar I'm playing has a floating Floyd Rose tremolo. The thing I wanted to mimic was the Jazzmaster's tremolo. The JM's tremolo has a long bar and limited range which makes it great for soft, subtle, textural warbles. The Floyd Rose is the exact opposite - short bar, tons of range. They're both floaters.

The trick I've discovered in getting the Floyd Rose to mimic the feel of the Jazzmaster tremolo is to have the bar facing directly down - so, perpendicular to the strings. At this angle, there is a ton of resistance and not a lot of range. The closer you put the bar to be parallel with the strings, the less resistance and more range there is. So, you simply tweak the position until you find one that allows you to get a similar range to what the Jazzmaster has. Viola! Soft, subtle, textural, shimmery warbles.

On the Floyd, the bar ends up being beautifully out-of-the-way, and the bar stays where I put it. It's picky, but certainly doable - having a bar that stays put seems key to the success of this technique. I would imagine this technique would work on any floating tremolo bridge, but I don't have any to test. Just wanted to share, hope anyone else finds this helpful and fun.
Working...
X