Chipping finish on a maple neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipping finish on a maple neck

My Fender P thick glossy poly on the maple fretboard. The other day I was giving her a good cleaning and noticed some spots where the poly either didn't reach when they were spraying, or has chipped off, so the bare wood is exposed. Is it worthwhile or necessary to try and fill in those spots with finish? I'd have to use something really small like a fingernail polish brush, the chipped spots are quite small - maybe a few millimeters in any direction. But there's probably 8 of those spots that I found upon an intimate inspection. And I care more about preserving the wood - if this is needed - than any kind of obsessive desire to have my instrument be flawless or something. Thanks!
    Last edited by alex1fly; 03-25-2021, 08:30 AM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Pictures would be a big help in rendering wise advice.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

You're almost certainly fine to just ignore it. Maple is a reasonably stable wood, a couple tiny chips aren't going to let enough moisture in to hurt it. If you're really concerned, maybe rub some danish oil into the spots . . . but even that is going to be overkill. A lot of people sand the poly off the back of their necks and play without problems.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Like GuitarStv said...just ignore the chips, it's not going to hurt anything at all.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If they are down to bare wood, you may end up with discolored spots.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
            I care more about preserving the wood - if this is needed
            It's not needed. Finish just reduces wear, nothing happens if there's exposed wood beyond it getting dirty faster. I have 6 unfinished guitars and they haven't blown up so far. Look at SRV's #1. Did it blow up or something treacherous happen to it?
            Last edited by Clint 55; 03-27-2021, 12:12 PM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
            X