Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom guage string sets

1. Do you use them?

2. Where do you get them & what do you pay?

3. What guages do you use, for what & why?

I like them a lot because the tone and feel is better. I balance the tensions and mix materials. It feels way better to have 10-49 instead of a floppy 46. That makes no sense. I use XLs with a NYXL 4th and 5th. It makes the set ultra juicy. I get them at stringsandbeyond.com and they run me about $12 per set.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 03-28-2021, 12:43 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I cant handle anything under 46, I'd much rather have a 48 or 49 there.

Comment

Nope- standard 9-42. I would hate to have to assemble string sets or use something that you can't get anywhere.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The EB-slinky line has some great hybrids of hybrid sets. Hard to not find what you are looking for there.

Juststrings.com house brand bulks are another great way to get customs cheap. They come in sleeves of 12.

Either way it's like really cheap. $4-5 set

Comment

.011 to .056 D'Addario, why ? Because the Rock.
            Will never go back to xtra lights.
            Only wish they had these 30 years ago.

Comment

I've toyed with the idea of recreating the .009-.040 pure nickel set that Fender sold as 150XL in the olden days. However, only the thick E differs from the 150L set (.009-.042), which is still in production, and whilst I prefer the lighter set I don't think the difference is large enough to justify going through the logistical pains and extra costs needed to make it happen.

Comment

I’m messing with a bunch of new strings. For standard tuning, I really like the EB Turbo Slinky (9.5-46). I’ve built tons of custom sets, and while I like the results, it’s a pain.

If you’re ordering enough that $6 shipping isn’t a big deal, Just Strings has an absurd selection.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I used to mix the Regular Slinkys with Power Slinkys for years before Ernie Ball finally released the Ultra 10-48 set. I love this set. They are perfect. I use Ultra Slinkys on all my guitars now except for my Viper. I use 10-52 D'Addario on my Viper or the Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. Been thinking about switching to the new Skinny Top Beefy Bottom 10-54 set on that guitar, though. But haven't picked up a set yet. Also the DR Tite Fit 10-50 are pretty good hybrid set as well.

Comment

i used to have dr make me sets of 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 54. didnt cost any more than a normal set but there is a minimum order and you have to wait a bit. it was a fine experience but i eventually went back to a stock 11-50 set cause of laziness mostly. granted its been quite some time so not sure what their current policy is

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i used to have dr make me sets of 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 54. didnt cost any more than a normal set but there is a minimum order and you have to wait a bit. it was a fine experience but i eventually went back to a stock 11-50 set cause of laziness mostly. granted its been quite some time so not sure what their current policy is
                      Going to try a couple complete cust size sets like you've had, but from stringjoy. There strings are a bit pricey but I don't mind.
                      Last edited by solspirit; 03-28-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

.011 to .056 D'Addario, why ? Because the Rock.
                        Will never go back to xtra lights.
                        Only wish they had these 30 years ago.
                        25.5” too or only 24.75”? E or Eb?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Going to try a couple complete cust size sets like you've had, but from strungjoy. There strings are a bit pricey but I don't mind.
                          i didnt like the g string on gibson scale guitars, always sounded slightly out of tune, but at the time i was almost 100% fender scale guitars. there was also no half sizes back then

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

25.5” too or only 24.75”? E or Eb?
                            All of the above. Was E flat and 1/2 & 1/2 for a long time but currently A440 from my last band.
                            Oh they can be a pull & i feel it but oh the toans !!!
                            When i switch from E flat to standard & vice versa usually requires a truss rod tweak.
                            The price of good tone.
                            Last for months.
                            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 03-28-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I don’t regularly use custom gauges, but I have tried odd sets, sometimes because of being in a desperate situation (on tour, no music shop open in town, have to use what’s left in the case), or to solve a specific problem (e.g. I will either buy singles, or pull strings from other sets to make the octave strings on my electric twelve plain, instead of a mix of wound and plain so runs/riffs have a consistent sound). Some sets I use come with custom gauges, like Pyramid flats have like a 10.5 high E (or was it a 46.5 low E? Been a while since I out a set on - they don’t break but aren’t my daily players either)

Comment

Working...
                              X