No announcement yet.

Custom guage string sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty much settled in with standard XL 10-46's, but I do play around with the wound G on a couple guitars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddario_strings.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	6068637

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

All of the above. Was E flat and 1/2 & 1/2 for a long time but currently A440 from my last band.
      Oh they can be a pull & i feel it but oh the toans !!!
      When i switch from E flat to standard & vice versa usually requires a truss rod tweak.
      The price of good tone.
      Last for months.
      The only way I can do those on 25.5” in E would be like on my Tele which is pure rhythm. 24.75” and Eb would be very comfortable.

I’m interested in trying the newer 10-49 sets. 10-52 is a bit too big compared to 10s, but I like more than 46 for the bottom.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The only way I can do those on 25.5” in E would be like on my Tele which is pure rhythm. 24.75” and Eb would be very comfortable.

I’m interested in trying the newer 10-49 sets. 10-52 is a bit too big compared to 10s, but I like more than 46 for the bottom.
        Last year i tried the orange 10-46 XL's like above cuz the band played A440 standard and i thought i needed it. The tone of the 10-46 was so bad & so different not in a good way that i went back to .011 to .056 and thats where i stay.
        Wasted $75 bucks in strings.
        To be honest the string pull/tension isn't really that different but the tone sure is.
        Having said all that bending the 22nd fret/note with .011's can be murder but i don't play that note much.
        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 03-29-2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I like 10-52s on Fender scale instruments - that's as custom as I get. The regular bass strings on 10s just feel too floppy to me, but 11s on a fender in standard tuning are just a little too hard to bend for me. Regular 11s are great for Gibson scale stuff. I ran 11s with a wound third for several years, but bending that G string was a ***** so I gave up.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I used to, for fun. But these days the standard sets do fine enough for me. It got too fussy to be ordering and storing individual strings and second-guessing my decisions. Nowadays I appreciate the consistency of standard sets. Heck even switching between brands on the same string gauge will give different feels. But do what you want! That's the beauty of this
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Last year i tried the orange 10-46 XL's like above cuz the band played A440 standard and i thought i needed it. The tone of the 10-46 was so bad & so different not in a good way that i went back to .011 to .056 and thats where i stay.
              Wasted $75 bucks in strings.
              To be honest the string pull/tension isn't really that different but the tone sure is.
              Having said all that bending the 22nd fret/note with .011's can be murder but i don't play that note much.
              I usually pay about $5 for XLs.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

I usually pay about $5 for XLs.
                Just ordered 10 sets of XLs for $40.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I get mine from Curt Mangan. I was using 10-48 that was a friend's signature set, but ordered up a few of my own 10-50 for my drop D guitars. Catch them when they have a sale and prices are competitive

Comment

I used to use a custom variation on the 11-56 set posted previously (11-15-24w-32-44-56). D'Addario from guitarstringsonline.com.

But ever since, I tried Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies (12-56), and I liked the tone better. I would really prefer if they had a wound 3rd, though. That plain 24 is just stupid-feeling.

Comment

When I first started playing when I was a teenager, I forced myself to use Ernie Ball 11-48, for no other reason that I knew they were the strings that Slash uses lmao. When I learned enough to understand the implications of him tuning to Eb, I gave myself permission to drop down to 10-48. Shortly after making the switch I realized that string gauge has way less affect on tone that I initially thought as a total beginner.

For a little while on my Les Paul I started to use the treble strings from a set of 11s and the bass strings from a set of 10s, I remember liking it at the time and being really upset that you could only buy hybrid sets with heavier bass strings, when I wanted the opposite, looking back it seems insane to me.
                      Originally posted by jcthejester13
                      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                      X