No announcement yet.

Suggestion - Build or Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the awesome advice and suggestions!

I pulled the trigger on Reverb only have the transaction fall through twice (turned out to be my bank's fraud protection that required I call despite answering "yes" to the text message about fraud.)

Decided to go with Warmoth instead...that way I get all of the specs I care about (stainless steel frets, fretboard radius, color, etc.) Will be doing a 7/8 Warhead Tele project for the same scale and bridge type. Was able to score a good price on a set of Fralin P90s...key differences will be an Ebony board (instead of Rosewood I presume) and a Bolt-On Neck instead of Set.

Thank you guys again, I sincerely appreciate all of the input!

Comment

Congrats on the Warmoth, then (I have a body coming)! Warmoth just put out a video explaining that things are taking longer, so expect about 12 weeks or so.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Congrats on the Warmoth, then (I have a body coming)! Warmoth just put out a video explaining that things are taking longer, so expect about 12 weeks or so.
        Thanks!

I saw where they were behind already—the body and neck I ordered will be unfinished so that will at least save some time.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

Thanks!

I saw where they were behind already—the body and neck I ordered will be unfinished so that will at least save some time.
          Oh that should save a lot of time!

Comment

Hey Trey. Cool project. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. But, sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by 7/8 Tele? Do you mean a Tele that's 1/8th smaller than standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Oh that should save a lot of time!
              I'm hoping so! But I don't think it will be the normal 4-5 weeks for unfinished build to orders.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Hey Trey. Cool project. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. But, sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by 7/8 Tele? Do you mean a Tele that's 1/8th smaller than standard?
              I'm hoping it turns out well!

Not a dumb question and you are correct–the 7/8 Strats and Teles are slightly smaller (but still take normal pickups and bridges.) They use a 24 fret neck with the 24 3/4" scale.

Comment

Enjoy the project. I've drooled over 7/8 Warmoth builds. It's really cool that they've built that out as a standard option for folks that want Fendereyness without the extra reach that 25.5" scale requires. It's amazing what a few fractions of an inch can do for comfort on the fingerboard.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                  Not a dumb question and you are correct–the 7/8 Strats and Teles are slightly smaller (but still take normal pickups and bridges.) They use a 24 fret neck with the 24 3/4" scale.
                  Cool. Learn something new every day.

Comment

I wanted to do a 7/8 build, but wasn't into the 24 frets. I settled on a Gibson conversion 22 fret neck for mine.

Comment

I've owned one before–wish I hadn't sold it (couldn't get it to sound right through my rig at the time and lost patience after switching pickups out.)

The size difference is really not that noticeable to me–they are cool guitars.

Comment

Working...
                      X