Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treyhaislip
    replied
    I've owned one before–wish I hadn't sold it (couldn't get it to sound right through my rig at the time and lost patience after switching pickups out.)

The size difference is really not that noticeable to me–they are cool guitars.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I wanted to do a 7/8 build, but wasn't into the 24 frets. I settled on a Gibson conversion 22 fret neck for mine.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    Not a dumb question and you are correct–the 7/8 Strats and Teles are slightly smaller (but still take normal pickups and bridges.) They use a 24 fret neck with the 24 3/4" scale.
    Cool. Learn something new every day.

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Enjoy the project. I've drooled over 7/8 Warmoth builds. It's really cool that they've built that out as a standard option for folks that want Fendereyness without the extra reach that 25.5" scale requires. It's amazing what a few fractions of an inch can do for comfort on the fingerboard.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Oh that should save a lot of time!
    I'm hoping so! But I don't think it will be the normal 4-5 weeks for unfinished build to orders.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Hey Trey. Cool project. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. But, sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by 7/8 Tele? Do you mean a Tele that's 1/8th smaller than standard?
    I'm hoping it turns out well!

Not a dumb question and you are correct–the 7/8 Strats and Teles are slightly smaller (but still take normal pickups and bridges.) They use a 24 fret neck with the 24 3/4" scale.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Hey Trey. Cool project. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. But, sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by 7/8 Tele? Do you mean a Tele that's 1/8th smaller than standard?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

Thanks!

I saw where they were behind already—the body and neck I ordered will be unfinished so that will at least save some time.
    Oh that should save a lot of time!

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Congrats on the Warmoth, then (I have a body coming)! Warmoth just put out a video explaining that things are taking longer, so expect about 12 weeks or so.
    Thanks!

I saw where they were behind already—the body and neck I ordered will be unfinished so that will at least save some time.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Congrats on the Warmoth, then (I have a body coming)! Warmoth just put out a video explaining that things are taking longer, so expect about 12 weeks or so.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Thank you all for the awesome advice and suggestions!

I pulled the trigger on Reverb only have the transaction fall through twice (turned out to be my bank's fraud protection that required I call despite answering "yes" to the text message about fraud.)

Decided to go with Warmoth instead...that way I get all of the specs I care about (stainless steel frets, fretboard radius, color, etc.) Will be doing a 7/8 Warhead Tele project for the same scale and bridge type. Was able to score a good price on a set of Fralin P90s...key differences will be an Ebony board (instead of Rosewood I presume) and a Bolt-On Neck instead of Set.

Thank you guys again, I sincerely appreciate all of the input!

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    a dab of Titebond turns a bolt on into a Set neck

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Depends on how you want to spend your time, yeah? Building vs buying/modding are two very different processes. However if you want to get as close as possible to the experience of your friend's Hamer, you probably need to go audition guitars in person. IME the "feel" can get lost in the specs.

However if you're comfortable building bolt-ons, maybe that's the best way to go! Neck joints do affect the tone but not so much that you couldn't make up with other parts of your signal chain, particularly in a band mix.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    i have three hamer usa guitars and each one is great. you can get a cheap dc and put fralins in it and be probably 80% of the way there. i like mincers idea of getting a hamer and refinishing it. the ones ive played had duncan p90s stock. if you go warmoth i really dont believe youll end up with anything better than the hamer though you do get choice in neck shape

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    I recently sold Gene/BTMN BACK his double cut Hamer. I did not like it. Sounded find. I was just not hanging with the DC factor.

But, based on everything, I say build. Get what you exactly what you want. The Hamer search could be long and expensive too.

Leave a comment:

• playas
    replied
    I like Mincer's idea of looking for a Hamer and refinishing it if you can't find one you like the look of.

I have two usa models and love them. I think they are more reliably well made than many other similarly priced brands on the 2nd hand market, but keep an eye out in any case.

How long would it take you to have a finished playable guitar?

If you give yourself the same time to keep looking at the second-hand market you may come across something that you like without even a refin.
    On the other hand, you'll probably get a lot out of a build if you're willing to put the time in to do it really well...and will have it exactly to your specs.
    Last edited by playas; 03-30-2021, 07:11 AM. Reason: funky phone posted before I finished typing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X