Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    Starting with one of these and refinishing might be a good base? It would be a hybrid between a Tele and the DC jr style?

There’s the Fender Jim Adkins, but I think that’s thinline.

As you were talking about making a Tele-style, I figure that’s what you’re more interested in?
    Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 03-30-2021, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    If you were to build a Warmoth, you'd get an amazing guitar, none the less. It won't save any money, and the resale won't be good, but you'd get exactly what you want. And, if you get exactly what you want, you probably wouldn't need to resell it.
    Another option is going for a used Hamer and having it re-finished. It would probably cost less than a Warmoth. I would suggest to first start playing guitars with similar specs to the one you really like. Some other options might open up.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
    I'd think an inexpensive LP JR 'kit' would be a good way to test the waters on that tone. I did a PGK kit (before I scratch-built a JR) and it went together fairly easily.

Larry
    Thank you for the suggestion! Those look really good!

Leave a comment:

• larryguitar
    replied
    I'd think an inexpensive LP JR 'kit' would be a good way to test the waters on that tone. I did a PGK kit (before I scratch-built a JR) and it went together fairly easily.

Larry
    Last edited by larryguitar; 03-29-2021, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Originally posted by TVFV View Post
    Have you looked at Reverend Guitars? They have several models with P90's.
    Yeah, for some reason they all look "odd" to me. I've actually never played one–never seen one available at any Big or Little guitar store around me.

If I bought a P90 guitar, I would be swapping the pickups out for Fralins anyway–kinda where the build came in. The used market has so little supply right now, no P90s at my closest guitar store.

Leave a comment:

• TVFV
    replied
    Have you looked at Reverend Guitars? They have several models with P90's.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    I would bet that most of the difference you heard btw your Tele and the Hamer could be achieved with any decent quality guitar that has the same key specs as the Hamer, i.e. set neck, 24.75" neck scale, and 2 P90 pickups. So I don't think you need to limit yourself to just that exact model of Hamer.

And I wouldn't insist on finding a guitar like that, that already had P90s. Since that limits your choices. You can easily buy something w humbuckers and replace those with P90s.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I've been eying some Gibson Studios with P90s (don't care for fancy binding and all.)

I do like stuff like Phat Cats but they do not sound/respond the same a real P90 does, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    And I wouldn't insist on finding a guitar like that, that already had P90s. Since thar limits your choices. You can easily buy something w humbuckers and replace those with P90s.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    I would bet that most of the difference you heard btw your Tele and the Hamer could be achieved with any decent quality guitar that has the same key specs as the Hamer, i.e. set neck, 24.75" neck scale, and 2 P90 pickups. So I don't think you need to limit yourself to just that exact model of Hamer.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    started a topic Suggestion - Build or Buy

Suggestion - Build or Buy

Wanting some opinions/suggestions. I'm currently playing through a Fender Bassbreaker 007 with a Cannabis Rex Speaker and Mad Professor Stone Grey & Silver Springs pedal–for small gigs it is powerful enough to stay in the mix and for bigger gigs I just mic it. I mainly play Teles and really like the tone I currently have. In between practices I broke my strings and needed a guitar quickly for my next jam session (fully intending on going back to the Teles once my strings came in.)

My cousin let me borrow his old USA Hamer Special with P90s (upgraded with Fralins.) The guitar sounds phenomenal and the bandmates really liked the tone. On some of the songs, it sounds better than my Teles.

So here is my issue–the Old Hamer DCs/Specials are $1,000+ and I don't like the color of any of them (some yellow-green or red.) Fralin P90s would add another $2-300.

I prefer to build my own (really just to meet my specific specs...not really saving money in the grand scheme of things) but I have no experience with a set-neck.

Thoughts on building a Warmoth 7/8 Tele using the same woods, scale, bridge, pickups, etc vs. attempting to build a set-neck without any experience building one or just buying one knowing I really don't like the looks?

Do you think the bolt-on neck would make that big of a difference?
    Last edited by treyhaislip; 03-29-2021, 06:51 PM.
Working...
X