Warmoth build fitment issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    ...your pictures - they don't show enough of the problem to determine a solution.
    Exactly. Something's being left out

Comment

Its possible the truss rod hasn't been adjusted properly. There could be a good bit of back bow.

I would check the relief of the neck first

If there is direct wood/wood contact in the pocket, and the truss is adjusted properly, it looks like there could be a problem with tolerances of one of the parts.

A shim could fix this, but shouldn't need to have to do this.

I would assemble everything before finishing to make sure there isn't a problem.

It looks to me like the height of the neck in the pocket is appropriate for a non recessed Floyd guitar. Is that an option when ordering a neck? A non recessed floyd, strings are higher off the body.

Last edited by Top-L; 04-01-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

It looks to me like the height of the neck in the pocket is appropriate for a non recessed Floyd guitar. Is that an option when ordering a neck? A non recessed floyd, strings are higher off the body.
        this isn't my build, but i am pretty well versed in warmoth options...if you order a non recessed floyd rout, they definitely cut the neck pocket differently. it is at what they call their "small angle".
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

The depth of the cavity should easily be measurable, though. Do you have another Warmoth guitar with a Floyd route? You can measure that, or ask someone who has one handy to measure theirs. Obviously the math doesn't add up right somewhere.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There's not a Floyd Rose on it or his Fenders so it's a moot point. Look at the pics. The last two that do not say Fender on them are the Warmoth. It's a hard tail.

BUT, when getting a non-recessed Floyd bridge, Warmoth does angle the neck pocket for proper action. A recessed Floyd route comes with the normal flat neck pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              There's not a Floyd Rose on it or his Fenders so it's a moot point. Look at the pics. The last two that do not say Fender on them are the Warmoth. It's a hard tail.
              BUT, when getting a non-recessed Floyd bridge, Warmoth does angle the neck pocket for proper action. A recessed Floyd route comes with the normal flat neck pocket.
              All the more reason to see detailed pics and measurements from the neck pocket, that is where the problem, and the solution, lie, I'm pretty sure.
              Instead of yelling at Warmoth, OP needs to remove the neck and measure/inspect the neck pocket.
              For depth, for any angling Warmoth may have done, and for finish overspray that may need attention.
              Not yelling and complaining, but calmly understanding the basics of neck to body geometry and whatever information the existing neck pocket yields.
              Pretty simple, would take about 10-15 minutes to define the problem, then figure out the solution based on the problem.

I agree also the OP should check fretboard relief to get a basic idea of where the truss rod is, more information is always good information.

Edited to add: This is actually how people learn and grow more intelligent and gain skill sets, which is great stuff.
              By looking at issues as challenges to solve, not problems that someone else needs to fix.
              You shoulder the issue yourself, start asking questions, doing research, and start looking at things more closely.
              A whole new world will begin to open up for OP if he approaches this issue with an open mind.
              He has the opportunity to understand in more depth:
              Neck pocket geometry to bridge saddle fitment
              Action and intonation
              Neck relief and truss adjustments
              That's all very cool stuff to have under your belt, a great opportunity for the OP, not a problem.
              Last edited by Drak; 04-02-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Does it matter if it sits higher than what you're used to? Like does that affect your ability to set it up properly? Asking because I genuinely don't know.

It honestly doesn't look that different from the Fenders when I look at the distance from the fret dot to the body. ... but I haven't ever built and set up a guitar completely from scratch parts so that opinion isn't terribly valuable. I do know that expectations can be a real b**** especially when you've been waiting and anticipating.... good luck!
                Last edited by alex1fly; 04-02-2021, 11:57 AM.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

We really need him to come back so we can figure out this mystery. It seems odd that if this were an issue, others would complain. It could be one-off, but there are things to check first.

Comment

You're the mod. Send out a search party. Call the FBI. Issue a subpoena.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I think the same thing was posted in a few other forums. Maybe he is checking those?

Comment

Grasping at straws
                        he may be back
                        He my find solice in another answer
                        we will see

I agree the neck doesnt semm to be fully in the pocket
                        But the images avoided the pocket

Where the problem was

Maybe he needs a discount
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Bruh that's physically impossible. Noone on earth has enough strength to screw the neck in by hand with enough force to bend the neck plate lol. The screws and/or screwdriver would strip first anyway. Maybe it's not necessary to be reckless about 'cranking' it in, but the neck still has to be relatively tight in the pocket to sit right. It can sit a good 1/8" too high if it's loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Bruh that's physically impossible. Noone on earth has enough strength to screw the neck in by hand with enough force to bend the neck plate lol.
                            Guess you didn't spend as much time working out your forearms as a teen as I did

Comment

Haaaa
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

If we can't solve the OPs question, at least this shows there is a baseline of knowledge a person needs before he builds a guitar from parts.

It is a little more complicated than Legos (although not much!)

Comment

Working...
                                X