Please help with pots, caps & resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with pots, caps & resistors

Where a the best place to learn about how different cap and resistor values affect different pot values?

In reality, the best place to learn is your home. Buy some parts and experiment. Outside of that, you can learn a lot here, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I made a varitone/varivolume out of a 4 way switch. On one side it has different values of resistors and on the other side it has different values of caps. It's cool and useful. The tone is no load so with the tone on 10 it will just be the resistors affecting the volume and darkening it that way. I think the cap values are 22nf, 15, 10, and 6.8. The resistors result in the volume equivalents of like 300k, 200k, 125k, and 85k or something like that.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 04-01-2021, 01:15 AM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I find one of these to be invaluable: https://www.parts-express.com/Elenco...ox-Kit-320-078

Just bring a couple wires, (connected where the cap would go), out from under the pickguard or control cavity, and clip that on. Now you can hear, in real time, the direct affect of each value. Including one's you'd normally never use. Just for the sake of learning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap_sub_box.png
Views:	124
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	6069498

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          I find one of these to be invaluable: https://www.parts-express.com/Elenco...ox-Kit-320-078

Just bring a couple wires, (connected where the cap would go), out from under the pickguard or control cavity, and clip that on. Now you can hear, in real time, the direct affect of each value. Including one's you'd normally never use. Just for the sake of learning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cap_sub_box.png Views:	6 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	6069498
          This is where it at. Where would I find one?

DUH.. I didn't see the link

Comment

Thanks Artie, this is probably better than learning from a book and definitely cheaper and less time time consuming than buying a bunch of parts and experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              DUH.. I didn't see the link
              It's early.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	cap_sub_box.png Views:	24 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	6069498
                How much assembly is required?

. Hell, I want to make a switch out of one and put it in a guitar. At the very least I'll get some long leads and put it on top of the amp. lol
                Last edited by solspirit; 04-02-2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

How much assembly is required?
                  Uhmm. None.

Comment

Uhmm. None.
                    I looked on this site and amazon, this one and some of them say that it's a kit. I thinks it's pot luck. Lol. I read all of the reviews and about 1/3 complained about it being unassembled, I assume that some expected that it was. So it's probably a closer to 50/50 chance that it will either way.

Comment

+

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I looked on this site and amazon, this one and some of them say that it's a kit. I thinks it's pot luck. Lol. I read all of the reviews and about 1/3 complained about it being unassembled, I assume that some expected that it was. So it's probably a closer to 50/50 chance that it will either way.
                        If you have a guitar with the control cavity in the back, you can alligator clip in caps and resistors at will.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Hahaha.

Learn how to make your own varitone knob using a variable rotary switch - you will be able to flip between multiple capacitors with ease.

Comment

Dang. You're right. I just noticed that it said "kit." I got mine from another source, that was already assembled, so didn't even notice that. My bad.

If you want one, I can build it for you. Free. Since I led you astray.

Comment

Haha... I just might take you up on that.

I wonder how bad it could be, I can follow instructions good but my soldering skills are still lacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X