30-Day Oak Tele Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-Day Oak Tele Build

Started this March 3rd, finished and assembled it/setup on the 30th.
    It was an old Oak tabletop that had been sitting around the house for 10-15 years doing nothing but collecting dust.
    I had all the parts already from my parts drawers.
    Oak is h-e-a-v-y, so I chambered the living bejeesus out of it.
    This is only 1.5" thick and it was still quite heavy to begin with.
    Everything under the pickguard and extra around the control cavity.
    It's a standard guitar weight now, very comfortable and very solid.

I also distressed the finish in several areas, including the headstock, I love how it came out.
    I actually had a roll of iron-on Oak veneer (for furniture building) I used for the headstock, it matches the body pretty good now.
    I had no expectations going in, whatever happened happened, but it came out great, love it.
    Pickups: Gibson Marauder bridge in the neck, Barden middle, Zhangbucker TarPaper 8.5k A3 bridge.
    Warmoth neck, SS frets, Ebony over Maple.

Electronics:
    250k pots, 047uF tone cap.
    3-way switch w/ push-pull tone control.
    The push/pull switches between the middle and bridge pickup.
    So down, it acts just like a Tele, like the middle pickup isn't there. Neck/neck-bridge/bridge.
    Pull up, and it's neck/neck-middle/middle.

Last edited by Drak; 04-01-2021, 05:40 PM.

There is a Floyd Tele-Strat coming in right behind it.

At one time...I had considered...then abandoned...the Leopard Twins!

Comment

Wow! These are wonderful! I am constantly amazed at the talent people have here.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well done! I like the leopard twins!
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Looks great. I can't imagine how much fun it was to fill the grain on oak, though....well done.

Larry

Comment

looks great! hows it sound? cool pup choice and interesting wiring scheme.

Comment

Cool project. Is she heavy? Isn't oak really heavy?

Comment

Looks great. I can't imagine how much fun it was to fill the grain on oak, though....well done.
                Pore-filling was actually one of the enjoyable parts, because directly after the pore fill is when I did the distressing part, that was fun.

looks great! hows it sound? cool pup choice and interesting wiring scheme.
                It sounds amazing, actually (to me anyway), better balanced than a Maple body, tho I build with Maple too.
                I find generally, if you have the available parts around, you can always adjust for things and come out winning.
                Like if it's too bright, move down on pot values or something, always ways to adjust things.

Cool project. Is she heavy? Isn't oak really heavy?
                Oak is ridiculously heavy, which, I presume, is why you never see it used very often.

So the body (the former tabletop) was only 1.5" thick to start with.
                Then I routed everything under the pickguard within about 3/8" as deep as I could safely get away with.
                Then I made the contours as extreme as possible w/o ruining the look.
                So I was shaving off weight everywhere I could, and it worked, it's an average weight now.
                Not light, but probably a bit lighter than a Les Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post
                  Oak is ridiculously heavy, which, I presume, is why you never see it used very often.

So the body (the former tabletop) was only 1.5" thick to start with.
                  Then I routed everything under the pickguard within about 3/8" as deep as I could safely get away with.
                  Then I made the contours as extreme as possible w/o ruining the look.
                  So I was shaving off weight everywhere I could, and it worked, it's an average weight now.
                  Not light, but probably a bit lighter than a Les Paul.
                  Nice project. How does she sound?

Comment

Working...
                  X