Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Let go...

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    RELEASE YOUR ANGER!

Leave a comment:

• nexion218
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Muting/dampening seems to be a vastly under-developed/utilized/appreciated skill. Many players sound like they only have on and off, and on tends to be so light it's barely perceptible.

Word! Right hand dynamics in metal are vastly overlooked. Hand placement can be crucial to the chug and it's really worth experimenting with it! Though with some of today's music it's a pretty moot point with boosted EMGs run into Tubescreamers and at least 3 compressors and noisegates hooked up to ultra gain amps... No matter what Yngwie says, less can be more. And the more I tweak gear, the more I find that the amount of gain is one of those instances where less is more, even in full blown extreme chuggachugga metal.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Let go...

That's not wrong at all!

Close those eyes and join with the speaker,,,,,,make it your b****!

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    I know this all joking here in this thread, or mostly at least, but it does touch upon (p.i.) something that I've really noticed on a lot of the young "prodigy" videos where they are doing covers well beyond their years, as well as many guys (and girls too) doing gear demo and show-off videos.

Muting/dampening seems to be a vastly under-developed/utilized/appreciated skill. Many players sound like they only have on and off, and on tends to be so light it's barely perceptible.

It's almost like people are so concerned with pushing out of tune that they are afraid to make it oomph and get some real speaker grab going.

Obviously if you over dampen on a floyd it will indeed start pitching sharp, and that's where the skills control is needed to develop, so that there is a full range of dampening-pressure dynamics at his or her disposal.

IMO riffs sound much more interesting when there is a constant variance of dampening, from open to soft to medium to hard-chug where the speaker is clutching and grabbing tight.

Plenty of metal players get it and use it, but many don't even try to develop their muting annunciation.,,,, and yes as previously posted, that goes right along in tandem with picking angle and attack.

Leave a comment:

• nexion218
    replied
    Here's the mentioned video of Ola teaching how to chug:

I"m a bit oversimplifying here, but don't get caught up in the exact chords. Chug is right hand and properly set up gear. You've mentioned Ola... He has the "will it chug?" series. If you notice, it's not about technique, but gear. He just does randpm palm muted riffs there, the rest is tweaking knobs.

Also, as it has been said: power chords, power chords and power chords. You can try palm muted perfect fourths too by fretting the same fret on adjacent strings (except for G and B, but you're not gonna chug up there anyways), they sound rad! Oh, and get a Nazgūl! jk

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Let go...

Leave a comment:

• UnderTheFlame83
    replied
    Also do hand exercises before playing. It really helps. I can't add anything new. Everyone else has already covered it. Just keep practicing. You'll be chugging before long.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    If you want, give me a call sometime . . .

I just might take you up on that.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Sweet! But which two notes?
    Well, that depends on what chord you're playing. Those do change of course, but for metal rhythm, you're usually just playing a two note chord and palm muting them. Occasionally you might use three notes, but very rarely do you strum straight across all six strings.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That might work.
    I've learned a few things that way.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied
    Key point for getting "chug" style tone is enough bass to let the "balls" though without extra "flab/flub".

May have to EQ sculpt a little in the 60-125Hz and 160-250Hz range.

Start by lowering 200 or 250Hz a few dBs... that's a "flab/flub" area.

Remember, standard tuning low "E" is about 80Hz.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
    Swedish chug's Luscious locks?
    Elaborate.

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Helps to have the right distortion settings too. Lots of distorted sounds out there but only a few are that specific Swedish style chug.

Helps to have long, luscious locks as well.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post

In addition to how much pick is actually hitting the string. Too much pick exposure and you get locked up and its over. Pick thickness and how much pick you are using is crucial. I see players using too much pick so they go with a thinner pick not to get hung up and they lose the crispness and aggression. The attack is lost. Pick angle on a proper thickness pick without to much pick hitting the string makes a big difference. How you mute, pick, dig into the string has a radical effect overall and shifting those things a bit can make for interesting rhythmic variances to spice a riff up.
    I use a coin pick for it and rake the pick a bit on the string as I'm picking.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post
    It requires skill, anyone thinking all of this stuff is easy is fooling themselves.
    Yup. Like soldering. It ain't as easy as it looks. Thanks. I'll practice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X