Is there a "chug" book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "chug" book?

I have acoustic, jazz, blues, rock, pentatonic, and even funk books. But how do I do the Ola Englund chug? I'm thinking there's only 2 or 3 "chords."

Is there a chug book?

Playback youtube videos at half speed and imitate.

Comment

I’m sure there’s an Andertons video where Ola teaches Lee and Pete how to chug.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
        Playback youtube videos at half speed and imitate.
        That might work.

Comment

Down tune to D, tune to open chord. The rest is tone.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Down tune to D, tune to open chord. The rest is tone.
            So, I drop the "E" to "D"? And the other strings just follow the suit? Do I want heavier strings for this? Or lighter?

Comment

Maybe drop D, but open tunings are not the norm in metal.

Start off with root-5th power chords, dial in less distortion than you’d think, boost the bass and treble a little, cut the mids a little, and use one of your guitars with a hot bridge pickup. Ola uses a lot of mids, but the tone I described above will exaggerate the chugs.

When you pick, make sure your hitting the string at an angle, with the edge of the pick. The meat of your palm should be slightly muting the string really close to the bridge, and use all 4 fingers of your left hand to mute between chugs.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Also, you can alternate pick for really fast stuff, but try to use all down picking as much as possible.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  Also, you can alternate pick for really fast stuff, but try to use all down picking as much as possible.
                  Cool. I think I understand the right-hand stuff. I'm trying to understand the left-hand stuff. What chords are Ola doing?

Is doing?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Start off with root-5th power chords . . .
                    You are talking SO over my head. I'm a tech. Not a musician. But I want to chug.

Comment

The chords are the same as any other chords used for any other music. The key/trick is what the picking hand is doing with open strings and PM's between the chords. There can be a lot of technique changes quickly happening between parts that have to be crisp and articulate.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Are you angry? Can you get angry? It’s step one. If not I nominate you allow us to all insult you viciously until you work up the suitable aggression to have a good reason to chug in the first place.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                          The chords are the same as any other chords used for any other music. The key/trick is what the picking hand is doing with open strings and PM's between the chords. There can be a lot of technique changes quickly happening between parts that have to be crisp and articulate.
                          Yeah. I'm watching YouTube vids of guys doing metal. It almost looks like they're only hitting the bottom two strings. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Yeah. I'm watching YouTube vids of guys doing metal. It almost looks like they're only hitting the bottom two strings. I'm sure there's more to it than that.
                            No, there's not.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

You are talking SO over my head. I'm a tech. Not a musician. But I want to chug.

What JB posted is pretty much my recipe, granted I'm no Olaf. . .
                              A power chord is made of two different notes and uses the number 5 is used to indicate a power chord (1st and 5th notes of a major scale).

Comment

Working...
                              X