Is there a "chug" book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'll have to pay closer attention to that.
    Don’t try to mimic it. If you angle your pick like most of us, it’ll be a lot of effort to switch for no real reason. Just make sure the edge of your pick is digging in, not the flat side.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      It is one part of guitar I was never interested in. But its great we have choices.
      Generally, me too. But I see so many people doing it, and it looks simple. But it isn't. I was just trying to do it, and it was awful. Embarrassingly bad.

Comment

Glenn Tipton gives a masterclass in chug.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Glenn Tipton gives a masterclass in chug.
          I'll "Google" it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Don’t try to mimic it. If you angle your pick like most of us, it’ll be a lot of effort to switch for no real reason. Just make sure the edge of your pick is digging in, not the flat side.
            I was about to say the same. Marty and Ola pick like that all the time. It's not like they're switching to it when they need a chug.

Comment

In addition to everything else, I'll add that when recording you should use less gain and double or triple track your parts to get them to sound huge but clear.

My trick (which probably lots of people use) for making single note riffs sound big is to triple track, pan the two worst takes hard left and right and turn them down maybe 9 dB; leave the best take on full up the middle. Having the other two takes turned down means you don't get weird phasing effects if your timing isn't perfect, which can be an issue with traditional double tracking.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

I angle mostly standard way, but from 88 until 2004 I did it the opposite like Marty, Ola, and for me a better reference would be Chuck from Death.
                Since switching, which was really only hard for the first few weeks, I hold the pick like Paul Gilbert teaches so that you can instantly angle either way or flat without really changing your grip. You just adjust your hand position and the amount of flex in your knuckle joints.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'll "Google" it. Thanks.
                  Just listen to it and learn the tune

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    It is one part of guitar I was never interested in. But its great we have choices.
                    I was forced to use the chug. In my early days I was playing with so much stacked gain I kept my palm on the bridge to control feedback. The chug became a big part of my writing and playing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                      In addition to everything else, I'll add that when recording you should use less gain and double or triple track your parts to get them to sound huge but clear.
                      Ah. Who would've guessed that "chugging" and the Spice Girls had anything in common!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I was forced to use the chug. In my early days I was playing with so much stacked gain I kept my palm on the bridge to control feedback. The chug became a big part of my writing and playing.
                        Well, you have to take it to the next level =) And I can also tell you what to read for general development. I recommend to read about Frankenstein, it is a very life story and there you can learn a lot of interesting things for yourself, which can then be transferred to the music. Look it up yourself and read an essay about it, you could check here for that and learn more. It will also help you look at the story from different angles.
                        Last edited by EricCartmannn; 08-01-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EricCartmannn View Post

Well, you have to take it to the next level =)
                          At this point, I can chug on an acoustic.

Comment

Install your Livewire Metal in something+change strings to 13's, tune down to C#, and reintonate for C#.

Comment

Didn't HP Lovecraft write of the Chugronomicon? That musty tome bound in timeworn skin and thought lost to the mists of time, which somewhere in deepest shadow awaits him who dares utter words long unspoken to unseal its sequestered gate and, shrouded in darkness, tread the murky ancient paths of arcane power beyond its veiled threshold..
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Got my workout in, so now I'm chugging for the rest of the night. First it will be beer, then it will be root-fifths!
                                I'll be getting some help with the latter from my new black SD-1. I love the way it spikes the gain without changing the tone as much as a green ts.
                                Last edited by dave74; 08-01-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X