No announcement yet.

What's the best Floyd Rose-type unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kahler Steeler is by far the best floyd rose unit.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Isn’t a Lockmeister just an unbranded OFR?
      Well, yes, but I factor the cost of buying the unit when I decide whether something is better than another. I literally bought two LM dfor the price of one FR about two years agoro, and here in Europe, even now the former is, at least, depending on the finish, about 1/3 cheaper than the latter.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I prefer my Floyd with a bar. Maybe the Lockmeister is better for players who don't want one.
        When I wrote my comment, I wondered who would get,my pun. Well done, Sir!
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          Kahler Steeler is by far the best floyd rose unit.
          How would you compare it to the Gotoh GE1996T?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

How would you compare it to the Gotoh GE1996T?
            The Kahler is machined steel instead of cast, I have found in particular the knife edges to be much more durable. While it is rare the machined saddles also fail less as in ive never had a kahler saddle fail but ive had others fail, ok not on a gotoh but on a schaller and Ibanez pro i have.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Kahler Steeler.

/thread.

Comment

I'm going to "go on record" and say that both guitars I own, with Floyd Rose Special (cheap) bridges have been excellent performers and stay in tune as well as OFR guitars I own.

The FRS has the same stamped steel baseplate. The saddles are a softer material (I have had to replace one saddle over ten years), and the tone block needs to be replaced with an OFR brass.

All this is to say that the cheapest, lowest Floyd Rose you can buy is still pretty damn good. If a part breaks, you just buy a $5 replacement and rock on.

Any FR recommended in this thread will work; I would focus on getting one that has full compatibility replacement parts.

Comment

Hasn't the Steeler been discontinued for donkey's years? Would be probably fairly pricey if you can find one, I imagine.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                    Hasn't the Steeler been discontinued for donkey's years? Would be probably fairly pricey if you can find one, I imagine.
                    Yes lol

Comment

Thank you everybody for weighing in! Your thoughts/opinions are very much appreciated!

Comment

There are lots of good choices and people have strong opinions about favorites. The Steeler was good, but spacing is different and as has been mentioned, it's not available. The OFR is the original and works great. The Gotoh is a solid option, and the one that was used on the MM EVH/Axis and is Suhr's current choice for his guitars. It also fits the same spacing as an OFR and is more affordable (not to be confused with cheap, it's a solid unit). Schallers are great too, and, they make the OFR so, basically the same thing. Hard to go wrong with any of those choices.

I really like the Ibz Edge too, but hard to get a body routed for it unless you are going for a full Ibanez-type build.

Comment

I'm glad they are starting to use the original edge on more models again in recent years. They are finally doing stainless frets on the prestige models but that's at about 2k price.
                          Actually I'm kind of glad they are using other models now to fill the gap between the $800 and $1500 range, and then reserving the prestige line for top-notch only.

Comment

Yeah, I have a RG655 and a RG7620 (7-string Lo Pro trem) and both play awesome, some of the best I've ever played if you can handle the new incredibly thin Wizard neck on the 655, but both are very pointy and I'm wondering if it's safe for an old man to play a pointy guitar...

Comment

Working...
                            X