banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a LP with a Floyd sound like a Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a LP with a Floyd sound like a Les Paul?

If so, does a mahogany body/mahogony neck superstrat with a floyd sound like a Les Paul?

I want a guitar with classic sounds but I want a Floyd.

I prefer modern ergonomics, but would like it to cop a LP.

I was looking up youtube vids trying to make a similar decision and am convinced that I need two guitars Cuz even things that are LP shaped like ESP eclipse sound way different to me especially in the neck pickup. I feel like only a LP sounds like an LP. And that SGs and 335 sounds pretty close. But that 24 frets or a trem is much different. I'm leaning towards the superstrat because no one cares about my tone but I would like to learn wang bar tricks and sound more 80s metal and the ergonomics appeal to me as well. And tuning stability.

Comment

I have heard Alex Lifeson play his Axecess Les Paul twice live and both times it sounded like a Les Paul.

Comment

I was blown away when I heard someone a/b their axecess and regular lp I want to find more comparisons cuz I thought it was so drastic with kinda a low gain crunch
        the axecess sounded the about same in the bridge position but meatier and darker and louder neck position, but that it became less and less apparent with more gain.

Comment

I'd say it is 80% there. It is probably no different than 2 LPs played one after another. To know, you'd have to test a guitar without a Floyd and then install one, and test again. What might change is the sustain, and the EQ might get slightly brighter.

My arch top mahogany Brian Moore with a maple top super strat doesn't sound like an LP- it has its own thing going on.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’m curious about this too...

All things equal, which would sound more like a traditional LP? Bolt-on instead of set neck or Floyd instead of TOM?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              It is probably no different than 2 LPs played one after another.
              Exactly.

"Sound like a Les Paul" is such a loaded phrase...even worse when we say "sound like a traditional LP"

Comment

An LP with a Floyd would sound more traditional. But brighter.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You CANNOT rout all that wood out, and bolt on a big chunk of metal and NOT change the tone.
                  Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-04-2021, 02:03 PM.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                    If so, does a mahogany body/mahogony neck superstrat with a floyd sound like a Les Paul?

I want a guitar with classic sounds but I want a Floyd.

I prefer modern ergonomics, but would like it to cop a LP.
                    Check out def leppard

Let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First question - probably. Second question - probably not.

Floyd makes an aftermarket trem for tune o matic bridges, no routing required. Less range, but it's an option.

Another plug here for the PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. Mahogany body, set neck, Floyd trem, and the 85\15s pickups cop a pretty good Gibson style tone in humbucker mode when I A\B it next to my Gibby SG. You could get this model and throw some PAFs in there. If you do, take some time with it... The 85\15s are a different kind of beast that take some unique settings to sound good IME.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                        Floyd makes an aftermarket trem for tune o matic bridges, no routing required. Less range, but it's an option.
                        This would be my suggestion, to leave the ‘meat’ of the guitar intact.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          You cannot rout all that wood out, and bolt on a big chunk of metal and NOT change the tone.
                          If we're talking about routing out wood from a specific guitar and changing the bridge on THAT guitar, then, yes, it will certainly sound different compared to where it started. Does the degree of change mean that particular guitar would suddenly stop sounding "like a Les Paul"? Not necessarily.

Furthermore, if we're comparing 2 similar guitars (i.e. one LP with a Floyd and one without), then all bets are out the window. We know that no 2 LPs sitting on the wall with exactly the same hardware and build specs will sound exactly alike. In the same sense, you can't tell what a guitar with a Floyd sounds like until you play it.

You simply can't make blanket statements about things like bridges making a guitar sound a certain way and the "amount" of wood on a guitar is only one contributor to the overall sound.

Case in point: I have a lightweight, carved-top Mahogany super strat with a Maple neck and Floyd Rose that's one of the warmest and darkest sounding guitars in my arsenal. From a "Tonewood" perspective, especially with the Floyd Rose, thin Maple neck, and all that "wood loss" from the carve top and having a trem, it should be bright and thin sounding by "traditional" logic, but that's not the case at all.
                          Last edited by Masta' C; 04-04-2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

No not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

If we're talking about routing out wood from a specific guitar and changing the bridge on THAT guitar, then, yes, it will certainly sound different compared to where it started. Does the degree of change mean that particular guitar would suddenly stop sounding "like a Les Paul"? Not necessarily.
                              My Les Paul Memphis is missing a ton of wood and still sounds like a Les Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X