Gear set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear set up

Just a quick set up question. I took in a Les Paul for a set up. I asked him to intonate it to drop c#. I brought it home and and found it tuned to standard c#(C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#). This guitar gear is quite a bit different. I messaged him and he said it shouldn't change the intonation, but if I want he can go back over it. Will tightening up the strings that much effect the playability, intonation, action, etc if it's been set up for such a different tuning?
    Last edited by tiguarist; 05-08-2021, 01:51 AM.

yes, id think that it would change the intonation and probably the amount of relief. how much, probably not a ton, but probably noticeable

Comment

I would take it back in cuz chances are the truss rod will move a little but if you dont, it probably won't be the end of the world. And maybe the tech will remember his tunings better if he has to redo this for you lol
      In drop tunings especially on short scales I've noticed that fretting too hard is easy to do and can make your chords sound much worse than intonation being off a little.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        yes, id think that it would change the intonation and probably the amount of relief. how much, probably not a ton, but probably noticeable
        +1
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I agree, get it redone to avoid any tuning issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            Without a freaking doubt

Comment

Sure it will change the feel and the intonation a little, but since the physical string size didn't change (which the nut and saddle are cut for) -there won't be binding/tension issues which are the biggest issue with changing it up -it's not a big deal to move between the 2 tunings a whole step different without completely changing the set up -you will just hear some 3rds get slightly pitchy at few spots perhaps.

If the intonation is still ok in C# standard, and the change didn't create too much buzz from losing relief from less string tension -you may elect to do nothing.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Tune the top 5 strings up a whole step and check the intonation. If it’s off, grab a tuner and a screwdriver and fix it.

If the relief increases, loosen the truss rod less than 1/4 turn.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                X