Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD RG470MSP

Got an rg! An Ibanez RG470MSP in turquoise sparkle
    I always stayed away from more modern guitars cuz I dunno I just used to feel lost on guitars with flatter radii and bigger frets and hot pickups cuz I'll admit I'm a sloppy player but as I try to work on that more and more I notice I'm fighting my jazzmaster, it's not big on output or sustain and the behind the bridge harmonics can get in the way. Bridge needs to be set up often, and it's a very noisy guitar.
    so I wanted something for an easy playing, quiet (hum cancelling) versatile guitar that would be good for more modern sounds and playing too, stay in tune with some lead playing over a few songs (or better).

Neck feels great, frets aren't huge but feel bigger than fender frets I'm used to. Thin fast maple with satin finish that is not like super satiny, but very enjoyable. No pointy fret ends.

I'll get back to you guys when I've stretched the strings and see how she comes back from dive bombing. This is my first locking trem and I get this is a cheaper one and so maybe expect issues.

Pickups are ibanez quantum. Seem pretty balanced but maybe a little chewy in the neck pickup. Fat mids and good clarity from the bridge pickup. Bright middle position, clucky. Sounds good in the 2/4 positions. Id say they can handle a little of everything! Very pleased.

Love the look. I've had a surf green fender strat a while ago, was one of my dream guitars but sold it to pay bills. So when looking for a super strat kinda thing I saw this finish and thought about it for a month before I was like ok I guess I gotta get this.
    I plan to learn more 80s hard rock and metal, cuz lately that's what's been inspiring me and this sounds and looks and feels way better than a squier jazzmaster for that!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6071879 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6071880

Name:	two-thumbs-up.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	6071905
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

RGs have been around long enough to be a classic guitar. That’s a sweet one.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That thing is sweet! Congrats!
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I still need the secret decoder ring to translate those RG model numbers, but that one looks like it is shredding just sitting on the stand!!! I really like that finish too!
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

If only I knew how to shred! Time to go find some lessons heh heh but she sure feels easy to play in any position on the neck
            the trem springs are loud gonna need to find some pickup foam I'm sure I've got some somewhere.
            For a little bit there was a little sitar action on the g string (open or fretted) and adjusting the fine tuner seemed to help? I think it's gone now. Fine tuner might have just a little play in it maybe?

But yeah pleased to say that after diving the trem till the bar hits the strings does not jack the tuning but took a good while of bombs, unlock, tune, lock, repeat. Have not taken anything apart or lubed anything yet so I feel like that's not bad at all.

the little collar that tightens the trem arm action is not the most reliable thing ever, it loosens with a few times of flicking the bar away and summoning it again.

Body binding little sloppy, I can imagine with worldwide demand for guitars being what it is, someone's going to show up to work tired af at the guitar factory. Or maybe they were new. Can't tell from a distance but I could imagine some people out there being turned off by it. But it's not an expensive guitar, I like that it even has binding at all.

Name:	1617951803820.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	6072052 Click image for larger version

Name:	1617951801300.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6072054 Click image for larger version

Name:	1617951799265.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	6072053
            You gotta have some MOTO binding on a sparkle finish right

Trem cavity cover was screwed in way hard from factory and took a fleck of paint with it on removing!
            Last edited by FuseG4; 04-09-2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Holy sparkle, Batman! The lower and mid tier RGs come in all sorts of cool finishes these days (and maple fretboards!), far cry from about 20 years ago.

The TRS II trem is ok, though the metal is softer compared to high quality Floyds; I had a MIK RG long ago which I played for 10 years and the trem worked fine (especially after some Chapstick), though it liked pull-ups less, because of the fat knives/pinched studs issue. I don't know if they have altered the design since (it's been a while!). Anyway, if it works, it works.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

That's a great looking RG in that finish. I played that model before. Congrats on the purchase!

The Low TRS II was the worst trem EVER by Ibanez. This guitar doesn't have it and neither does any modern Ibanez guitar. Ibanez stopped making them mid 2000s for good reason.

Comment

Those Quantum pickups actually sound pretty decent. The pickups on lower end guitars have really improved significantly over the years.
                  "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Congrats on a Shredasaurus! I really dig the color. It is a pretty bold choice, and I like that.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I still need the secret decoder ring to translate those RG model numbers,
                      Over on the Ibanez Collector's World forum someone made a joke that the longer Ibanez model numbers make great passwords.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Nice score. Love that sparkle. Enjoy.

Comment

Thanks you guys!
                          yeah this finish is nuts, my family commented it's a little deeper green than we thought it was gonna be based on catalogue shots but still killer.
                          And yeah in my research on well should I get used or new of it's a cheap trem, I hear those old mik rg4xx had bad trems
                          and that this one is an improvement.

Cool truss rod cover.

I gotta say there's some pickups that come to mind when I play this guitar
                          Can't help but think a 59, ssl-6, and custom 5 would be good (I had ssl-6 ssl-6 and custom 5 on a pacifica once!)
                          and on the other side always wanted to try 85/SA/81 but I DID spend my max guitar budget on this baby so I will be getting to know the stock pickups intimately

so far the crunch tones are not the best but cleans and high gain pretty freaking good. ​​​​​

Comment

Not the finish for a jazz gig Click image for larger version

Name:	1617988749414.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	6072163

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                              Not the finish for a jazz gig
                              Unless it's St. Patty's day.

Comment

Working...
                              X