banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on how to route a guitar to add a middle singlecoil pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on how to route a guitar to add a middle singlecoil pup?

I am considering routing a Les Paul style guitar, to add a middle position singlecoil pickup. The guitar is a flat top, not an arch top. The guitar DOES already have a (poly) finish on it.

[EDIT: This is the same guitar I am planning to install a vinyl skin on, discussed here:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...5-guitar-skins

I'm thinking the time to add a route - if i do it at all - is now, b4 skin inatallatiion. So, the skin gives me the extra leeway of being able to cover up any blemishes to the finish that rssult from my DIY routing work.]

I don't own a router or drill press type tool but I do own a Dremel, electric drill and other basic hand tools. Will i definitely need a specific tool that I don't already own?

Also, is this template from StewMac the way to go?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...hoCiXQQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-09-2021, 11:52 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Yes, that StewMac template is the correct one for a standard SC pickup route.
    Are you intending on using one of those metal SC pickup rings?
    I would recommend a 3/8" flush trim router bit (about $20.00) and the minimum router you could get away with would be a Harbor Freight trim router ($30.00), should work.
    I would instead ask why you can't split your neck or bridge pkp in some way to get the additional sound you want instead of going to all this trouble.
    But what do I know?

Last edited by Drak; 04-08-2021, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Dremels are underpowered for routing......and the bits are thin, flexible and will blunt quickly.
      So you will need to get rid of essentially all of the required wood with drill bits beforehand. You'd want only to be removing a mm max with the dremel bit. And of course you'd need a base to add to it like you see above on the laminate trim router.

The second point is about the hookup wire routing. It will have to start low in the rout because that is where the wire exits the pickup, but then you're having to drill on a steep downward angle due to poor access.....and then maybe trying to hit another pickup cavity that is probably no deeper. Its a minefield and very easy to go right through the back.

Comment

I recently posted about just removing a tiny bit of wood in a center single-coil pickup route, where we wanted to install a "triangle-based" single, in a "oval-base" route. Even removing that tiny bit of wood, AND having the nice Stew-Mac router base, was very taxing on my Dremel. And it's one of the newer higher torque units.

I wouldn't try a full routing without a proper router, or maybe a Roto-Zip, at the minimum.

Comment

I always thought a Dremel is great for a lot of things, but a router isn't one of them. Best get the proper tool for something important like the face of a guitar.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I want to put a battery box on several guitars
            I am curious as to how this runs its course

I have several Dremels and a RotoZip
            but I think a small trim router would be the proper tool
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

this for Dremels looks like it might work

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01.../dp/B0000DEZK4

also heres the amazon version of the template

Last edited by ehdwuld; 04-09-2021, 12:39 PM.
              EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                I want to put a battery box on several guitars
                I am curious as to how this runs its course

I have several Dremels and a RotoZip
                but I think a small trim router would be the proper tool
                In your case of a battery box, have you considered an easier alternative, which would be installing a battery tray into the cover for the control cavity? I did one myself a couple years back, with just a dremel. See pics.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I have considered that
                  I have pretty crowded control cavities already but yep thinkin bout that too
                  thanks
                  EHD

Comment

I have considered that
                    I have pretty crowded control cavities already but yep thinkin bout that too
                    thanks
                    Ed,

Here is another alternative: an *external* battery compartment. The appeal in a scenario like yours is that just one extra piece of equipment could be a common solution for a need across multiple instruments, sparing you the time and effort to mod multiple instruments.

The X-Bat system Eliminates the need for internal batteries required to power active pickups and electronics. With the X-Bat system, the battery is located in the battery pack and the pickups and electronics are powered through the included stereo instrument cable or any other stereo cable of your choice. It's like a 9-volt "phantom power" supply for your active instrument! Ideal for Strats, Teles, Jazz Bass, P-Bass and other guitars and basses that require routing for batteries or require pickguard removal or other dis-assembly to change the batteries. Works with pickups and electronics from from EMG, Seymour Duncan, Bartolini and others. Eliminates the need for internal batteries. No soldering or rewiring required for installation. Includes stereo instrument cable. Built in low battery and fault indicators.

A stereo 1/4" cable as the connection btw the guitar and the unit is how the guitar receives the power from the external battery. The external unit could be placed on a pedal board or sitting on top of an amp.

Additonally, One-Spot makes adapter cables for power supplies that attach to 9 volt batteries. So I would think you could also power this unit via a power supply instead of needing to use an actual 9V battery.

Full disclosure: never used one myself but obviously have given it some thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Ed,

Here is another alternative: an *external* battery compartment. The appeal in a scenario like yours is that just one extra piece of equipment could be a common solution for a need across multiple instruments, sparing you the time and effort to mod multiple instruments.

The X-Bat system Eliminates the need for internal batteries required to power active pickups and electronics. With the X-Bat system, the battery is located in the battery pack and the pickups and electronics are powered through the included stereo instrument cable or any other stereo cable of your choice. It's like a 9-volt "phantom power" supply for your active instrument! Ideal for Strats, Teles, Jazz Bass, P-Bass and other guitars and basses that require routing for batteries or require pickguard removal or other dis-assembly to change the batteries. Works with pickups and electronics from from EMG, Seymour Duncan, Bartolini and others. Eliminates the need for internal batteries. No soldering or rewiring required for installation. Includes stereo instrument cable. Built in low battery and fault indicators.

A stereo 1/4" cable as the connection btw the guitar and the unit is how the guitar receives the power from the external battery. The external unit could be placed on a pedal board or sitting on top of an amp.

Additonally, One-Spot makes adapter cables for power supplies that attach to 9 volt batteries. So I would think you could also power this unit via a power supply instead of needing to use an actual 9V battery.

Full disclosure: never used one myself but obviously have given it some thought.
                      I think this would work, but it does seem like a serious inelegant solution.

Comment

You really DO want a template and a router with the bit with the ball thingie for following said template.

Also, you need to make sure you place it somewhere you can drill through to a cavity from (for the wiring). Humbuckers leave you with some angles to work with, but a single mounted without a pickguard....doesn't.
                        Last edited by Adieu; 04-11-2021, 02:16 AM.
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

this for Dremels looks like it might work

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01.../dp/B0000DEZK4
                          I have one of those. It's not as sturdy or precise as I'd like it to be. Also, some of those pics are showing unrealistically ambitious projects. The "problem" with the Dremel, is that its bearing is just not up to the task of severe lateral thrust. And this is coming from a Dremel fanboi. I think have about half a dozen of the various rotary tools, and most of all of the attachments. Outstanding tools for miniature and hobby work. But not for serious work. IMHO.

"Serious" probably wasn't the proper word there. A small job can still be serious. I should have said "heavy duty."
                          Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-11-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

To be honest
                            i want to add piezo to some of my TOM style guitars
                            I'm not even sure I need a preamp

EHD

Comment

To be honest
                              i want to add piezo to some of my TOM style guitars
                              I'm not even sure I need a preamp
                              If you want the output to match the same as the other pickups in the guitar, you would need a preamp (or use an external one, but not many are available).

Comment

Working...
                              X