banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Les Paul nitro finish sticky after extended time in the case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul nitro finish sticky after extended time in the case.

My Les Paul has been out of commission for longer than I care to admit, I decided to take it into a luthier. I was noodling around on it the morning I brought it in and I noticed that the neck was really sticky.

It was so bad I actually checked to see if there was some dirt or sticky gunk that had gotten into the case, so I gave it a few wipes with a rag and came to the conclusion there was not.

I did some googling and it sounds like this can happen to nitro finishes after extended time in a case. Some people report just leaving the guitar out and playing it will fix the issue. Others recommend scotch brite pads or 000 steel wool.

What do you think would be the best course of action?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Scotchbrite - the gray.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Scotchbrite - the gray.
      Thank you! That may be the fastest I've ever gotten an answer to a question online lol
      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

That's interesting. I have Les Pauls and other Gibsons that have spent significant time in the case but never had this happen.

Comment

I have the same experience with nitro after a few minutes of playing, whether the guitar was cased or not. That nastiness sticks to my hands/skin like crazy.

My solution has been to not buy anymore nitro finished guitars, and to sand that crap off the necks of the ones I have. This is obviously not the best course of action for everyone, but it’s worked well for me.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            My solution has been to not buy anymore nitro finished guitars, and to sand that crap off the necks of the ones I have. This is obviously not the best course of action for everyone, but it’s worked well for me.
            I've had nitro finished guitars in the past but this is the first time I've encountered something like this, although it was somewhat comforting to learn that this isn't a unique problem. I love my Les Paul, it's my daily driver but I would have absolutely zero qualms sanding down the neck and throwing a couple coats of tru oil on there.

If the scotch brite doesn't do the trick I'll go this route, I think.

Comment

Oil/wax is glorious, you won’t regret it.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Never had an issue like that. Was the guitar relatively new when it was put away?
                Perhaps the nitro hadn't fully cured.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  Never had an issue like that. Was the guitar relatively new when it was put away?
                  Perhaps the nitro hadn't fully cured.
                  I think it has to do with skin ph, kinda like how some people kill strings really quickly and others don’t.

My sticky nitro guitars are all vintage Gibsons from the 60s or earlier.

Comment

I'd just let it catch some cool air for a week or so and then re-evaluate.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you're at all nervous about it, you could probably get away with the white (which is gentler) and still de-sticky things, but the gray (or even maroon) will do it faster.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Scotchbrite - the gray.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

You don't need to go clean through to the wood. Easy pressure will do the job.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          I'd just let it catch some cool air for a week or so and then re-evaluate.
                          This, I would take it out of a humid environment and let the finish settle then evaluate from there. At that point, it probably will just need a light polish.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            I have the same experience with nitro after a few minutes of playing, whether the guitar was cased or not. That nastiness sticks to my hands/skin like crazy.

That sounds like the finish wasn’t cured. I’ve never had that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

That sounds like the finish wasn’t cured. I’ve never had that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My hands stick to any finish that’s not oil/wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X