banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String Instrument Craftsman - Do you remember it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Instrument Craftsman - Do you remember it?

How many of you remember a short-lived 16 page newsletter entitled String Instrument Craftsman published by Guitar Player Magazine in the late 80's? Edited by Jim Hatlo, the publication maybe lasted 20 to 24 issues, as I remember. I wrote a lot of articles for it back the day. Notables such as Roger Siminoff, Bob Benedetto, Michael Dresdner, Bill Cumpiano, Ken Donnell, Ervin Somogyi, and other known and lesser known professionals (like me) wrote articles for builders and repairman. It was a strictly a "how to" kind of publication, offered by subscription.

I had a full set (as a subscriber and contributing author), but foolishly gave them away over the years to young bucks coming up who sought help from me. I was only too happy to oblige. Now the internet is full of more disinformation and outright lies than actual competent advice from experienced professionals and serious amateurs. Now is a great time to bring back the information contained in String Instrument Craftsman for a new generation - but an online version or perhaps re-issued in a compilation.

If you have any old copies you can loan me, or to Dick Boak at Martin Guitars please contact us. I was recently loaned 5 old issues from my business partner and former author Mike Metz of Thesis Audio Service. I had them scanned into PDF files and put on a flashdrive to make them easy to email (I've already sent them out to people who asked for them). I also sent the 5 files to Dick to get the ball rolling. Eventually, Dick would like to gather all the issues on a PDF so they could be put up on the Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans website or published in a book.

Please help us out in this project if you can. It would be a real tragedy for this vital information to simply disappear forever. Let's resurrect it for all posterity, so we can leave a true legacy for succeeding generations of luthiers.

Thanks - Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever Guitar Repair Shop in Wichita, KS
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-11-2021, 07:24 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

ebay would be a good resource to buy old back issues.

I've done it a few times for old guitar player mags.

Comment

I've never heard of it, but would love to have the articles. Hope this project pans out.

Comment

Maybe a local library can track a collection down?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've done it a few times for old guitar player mags.
          I've been looking on Squeebay for over 2 years and found only photocopies of some articles. Looked on Treeverb, too. That is what prompts this call to action.

Comment

Mincer has a great idea. Especially if your local library has access to WorldCat.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I'll check it out. Anyone care to repost the top of the thread on other forums like Warmoth, Gear Page, and My Les Paul, etc. so I don't have to do the registration dance and waiting period? I am already getting responses from the OLF and others I am a member of.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Update: I now have a full set of SIC issues. Apparently there were only 14 published. I have had them scanned into PDF files so that it is easy to scroll through all 16 pages of each issue. However, when I email them I have to email one at a time.... Anyone wants a set PM me and I'll put you on the list. I don't want to send them all at once and fill up your inbox. Or - if you just want one to check out, let me know what subject you are interested in and I'll pick a good one to send you.

As a refresher, these are "how to" articles authored by professionals for other pros and serious amateurs. There are no ads, just good info on working on string instruments - electronics, finishes, hardware, techniques, etc. There are illustrations and drawings with the articles, and some photos - along with sidebars explaining details. It is an authentic resource from years gone past - still relevant all these decades later for working on new or vintage instruments.

Comment

Here's what I'm talking about.... Volume 1, Issue 1, Page 1..... And yes, that's my article at the top of the page.

Comment

How did you find them all?

Comment

How did you find them all?
                        Long thread on the Official Luthiers Forum turned up a couple guys who still had theirs from back in the day. Dick Boak of Martin Guitars got his set from an ASIA (Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans) member. At this point I have multiple copies of each issue in several formats - all within 10 days. I feel great about the project coming to fruition after such a long search. Now to distribute the wealth and let the learning commence.
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-22-2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

This is fantastic! I can't say I've heard of that publication but that kind of stuff is worth having around. I'm not a pro luthier but I do like working on my guitars and learning more about how to do things where it comes to repair, setup and maintenance, and I've been playing and figuring things out for 30 years. PM incoming.

Comment

Make some PDFs of those, so the knowledge doesn't get lost!

Comment

Make some PDFs of those, so the knowledge doesn't get lost!
                              Have you read through my posts? They are ALL in PDF now.

Comment

Working...
                              X