Ibanez humbucker cavity led mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez humbucker cavity led mod

Sorry for the picture quality but the pictures of the lights on were taken in the dark to show them off better.

Removed the pickguard and cut out a spot right under the smaller radiation sticker for a 2 aa battery holder and then drilled out small cavities in the corners where the humbuckers are. Then ran 8 5mm leds with 10 ohm resistors on each light. I used the middle pickup cavity to hold the wire for all the resistors. Everything is soldered and shrink tubed and the lights are held in with hot glue so I can remove them or replace them if needed. Was a little nerve racking when I took out the dewalt multi tool and cut out the cavity for the batteries but it all worked out good. I think. The lights are silly but it's just always been my thing to try to squeeze lights into anything and everything I can. Let me know what you folks think!

Nice nice nice I would not mind a black guitar with blue LEDs myself!

Comment

Should look great on stage. Decades ago I did a Strat for a kid with a skull and crossbones stenciled on the pickguard. I drilled out the eyes and glued in red LED's. When you plugged the cord into the guitar, the red eyes lit up!
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        Nice nice nice I would not mind a black guitar with blue LEDs myself!
        Yes that would be awesome too! Even green leds are cool too. And thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Should look great on stage. Decades ago I did a Strat for a kid with a skull and crossbones stenciled on the pickguard. I drilled out the eyes and glued in red LED's. When you plugged the cord into the guitar, the red eyes lit up!
          No stage for me, just the couch lol. I just like to make things. Thanks for commenting!

Comment

That is pretty cool. The only thing I would worry about is battery life at that brightness. This screams for remote, or phantom power. But cool project.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-12-2021, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Nice! You just can't beat cool and unique home-brewed fabrications.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                That is preety cool. The only I would worry about is battery life at that brightness. This screams for remote, or phantom power. But cool project.
                Yeah the battery life is gonna be really bad but I just didn't for fun and because I have a ton of stuff on hand to do it with. It's just to show off here or there. I dont actually play with them on. And yeah they are bright lol. Thank you.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Nice! You just can't beat cool and unique home-brewed fabrications.
                  That's basically my addiction lol. I am always trying to mod everything. You should see either of my 2 xbox ones or the many controllers I've stripped and rebuilt with aluminum parts and leds and paint.. about to paint and add leds to my step sons power wheel 4 wheeler. I just put one of my 20v dewalt batteries in it and it kinda flies now. Thanks for commenting.

Comment

Now all you need is spread-eagled wheels and conflicting GT-R and Type R badges.

Oh and a ridiculous steering wheel.
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Now all you need is spread-eagled wheels and conflicting GT-R and Type R badges.

Oh and a ridiculous steering wheel.
                      Yeah I'm sure its tacky to some people lol. I just really wanted to do it to one of my guitars and choose that Ibanez because it had the pickguard to work with. I wanted to do it to my new Jackson but didn't want to drill all the Hope's and cavities yet in it. The car reference tho.. that was definitely me in some ways in high school lol. Had a green dodge neon with green under body neons, headlight strobes, stereo, 18 inch rims and everything lol. Now I just drive my family car with my single 12 inch sub. I've gotten more simple in that area. Have a good day!

Brad

Comment

You guys riced out your Dodges???

Dang... which part of the world did you grow up in?

Comment

I live in upstate Ny lol. It was only 3 years old. An 01 at the time. 5 speed. I thought it was my race car back then lol. This back when fast and furious was still new and all the kids put lights and stereos in there cars. Some rich kids even did air bags and nicer cars. It was a weird place because you had rich kids and poor kids all doing the same things. I was one of the poor kids who just worked to own a car and went crazy on it.

Comment

Fun

I had a somewhat similar phase, albeit with a bimmer... but then caught the truck bug instead.

Comment

I had a Neon too for awhile. It was a surprisingly fun and comfortable car. When the SRT Turbo came out, it was the fastest Dodge ever built up to that time. There were even several forums for it.

It was a cool little car.

Comment

Working...
                              X