Epiphone's Indonesian version of a classic Gibson Hummingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone's Indonesian version of a classic Gibson Hummingbird

Well, color me impressed. I'm used to Breedlove, Seagull, Yamaha, and Guild all making $300-500 acoustic imports that are orders of magnitude better than imports of old at the same pricepoint (adjusted for inflation). So much impressive stuff these days...

But I haven't messed with Gibson lower end stuff in decades

Yesterday I played a brand new Epiphone hummingbird pro (see pic below) an Indonesian made copy of a GIbson Hummingbird) and damn if it didn't have some serious magic for an entry level guitar -it wasn't bright and almost tactical in the sharpness of tone like a Breedlove or a Taylor but rather mellow and round and had different kind of sweetness.

I think it was in the mid 300s in price -and since I own a dozen acoustics and don't need one -so I didn't bring it home...

but anyways -something to consider if you find a good one that speaks to you.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Nice. I've liked every Indonesian guitar I've played regardless of brand. The only issue I've ever noted is the finishes seem thin and fragile, but that's mostly it.

I played an Epi J-200 model years back, but it didn't have anything special going on and didn't sound anything close to a Gibson J-200, despite the solid moustache bridge (which is rare even on Gibson 200s these days). I don't know if that was made in a different location?

Comment

Very interesting! The old Epiphones sounded like a cardboard box and paled in comparison to Seagull, Breedlove, Yamaha, etc. (and of course by old I mean 90’s/00’s)
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My father-in-law has one of those that he picked up at a pawn shop. It plays like a dream and sounds great. I pick it up just about every time we go to his place.

Comment

I have really liked some of the newer Epiphones I've played recently.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Very interesting! The old Epiphones sounded like a cardboard box and paled in comparison to Seagull, Breedlove, Yamaha, etc. (and of course by old I mean 90’s/00’s)
            Like I said -I was really surprised - I didn't know it was an Epi until I looked at the headstock later

-I saw the inlays and pick guard and said damn! a hummingbird and picked it up before noticing!

for a solid 2 minutes I thought I was playing a $2k Gibson Acoustic
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic find!
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
              X