No announcement yet.

Kramer Baretta Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an owner of an '88 Baretta, I can't wrap myself around these. I've picked up a few and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe they've gotten better since but the few I picked up were dogs. My Classic Vibe plays better than those did.

I have to say, what you did there is pretty darn cool. Very 80's paint job. If you replace the bridge, go with black. In fact, replace all the hardware with black hardware, even the screws.

Comment

my god I just don't need a project....but damn....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

DO IT!!!!
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
          DO IT!!!!
          Yes, do it! Buy the Vintage White or wait 6 months, or longer for the others...

Comment

I wonder if a Gotoh bridge would be a direct drop in ... I'd be tempted to rout a slot for a single in the neck, make it a HS.

Interesting that the body is mahogany on these, you don't usually see that on guitars in this price range, it tends to be basswood or poplar.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
              I wonder if a Gotoh bridge would be a direct drop in ... I'd be tempted to rout a slot for a single in the neck, make it a HS.

Interesting that the body is mahogany on these, you don't usually see that on guitars in this price range, it tends to be basswood or poplar.
              I doubt a Gotoh 6-screw bridge would fit on there. They are 2 7/32" wide spacing, which is USA Fender vintage spec. Imports guitars are usually 2 1/16" or 2 1/8" spacing.

The mahogany isn't African mahogany as seen in Gibsons. It's an Asian "mahogany" that shares similar grain and color characteristics and is a distant cousin to true mahogany. Not a bad wood.

Comment

^^ Hmm, good to know.

Yes, I thought so. Like on the MIK Brian May guitars, they're are made of some mahoganyish wood. It's easier to see on the natural finished examples - the grain is similar, though overall colour of the wood seems to be lighter.

If the neck/frets and body are well done on these, it's worth it just for that. That's how I see guitars in this price bracket, at any rate; if pickups, tuners and so on are also good, it's only a plus.

I have an old Ibanez RG410, which is basically a Baretta copy, so I have a soft spot for these kinds of axes.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Pulled the trigger and ordered the Vintage White Click image for larger version

Name:	baretta-special-h-trem-rw-hd-145305.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	6074822

Comment

Alto Music on Reverb currently has the black one in stock.

Comment

Anybody know if the necks on these are Jackson/Ibby style wide-flat, or more strat-like?

Edit-never mind, missed the earlier comments that it's Charvel-like. Just added to the list...

Larry
                      Last edited by larryguitar; 04-18-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                        Anybody know if the necks on these are Jackson/Ibby style wide-flat, or more strat-like?

Edit-never mind, missed the earlier comments that it's Charvel-like. Just added to the list...

Larry
                        They're like a Jackson and Ibanez neck.

Comment

I don't get why people are lining up for these rather than the Baretta Vintages. On those you already have the mods that people invariably are going to bring to these (Floyd Rose, JB, strap locks) on them already, and on a guitar that is likely to be built better than this one.

Comment

i think it's the price point. $180 for a fun mod platform but usable out of the box vs $700 for an upgraded model is a big difference. And there's a lot of fun shredder guitars in the $700 range.
                            Quality riffs in about a minute...
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Some of the hardware on those old vintage Barettas would need to be replaced now. I've seen a few in the past month or so, and it was all pitted and looked terrible.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                Some of the hardware on those old vintage Barettas would need to be replaced now. I've seen a few in the past month or so, and it was all pitted and looked terrible.
                                Kramer called some of their models “Vintage” until recently, I think the post was referring to them rather than actual vintage guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X