Kramer Baretta Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer Baretta Special?

What is everyone's thoughts on the Kramer Baretta Specials? I have one in Candy Blue that I've had for about a year. Really good guitar. I know most people mod them, but I was quite pleased with it stock. Never had any issues with it not staying in tune or anything. I think the stock Alnico humbucker is similar to a JB. Only reason to upgrade to a real JB is resell value. Dont plan on selling this one, though, but that's what lot of people do with these when upgraded.
    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-12-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Hm, it does seem like a good mod platform for those who want a single hummer. I can see people upgrading tuners, bridge and maybe pu.

What's the neck like?
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I have one. I really like it for the money, but i did some mods on mine. Put a new nut on, swapped the pu for a Dimarzio AT-1, swapped pickup ring and knob too. I've been thinking about swapping the bridge but haven't decided if that's worth it yet. Also I gave mine a sparkle "snakeskin" refin. It's a fun guitar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_130636.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	6073479
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
          I have one. I really like it for the money, but i did some mods on mine. Put a new nut on, swapped the pu for a Dimarzio AT-1, swapped pickup ring and knob too. I've been thinking about swapping the bridge but haven't decided if that's worth it yet. Also I gave mine a sparkle "snakeskin" refin. It's a fun guitar.

OMG - WANT!!!!!

Please describe you technique for finishing that?!?!?!?!?!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
            What is everyone's thoughts on the Kramer Baretta Specials? I have one in Candy Blue that I've had for about a year. Really good guitar. I know most people mod them, but I was quite pleased with it stock. Never had any issues with it not staying in tune or anything. I think the stock Alnico humbucker is similar to a JB. Only reason to upgrade to a real JB is resell value. Dont plan on selling this one, though, but that's what lot of people do with these when upgraded.
            I have played a couple. One through a 5150. All in all, great little guitar for a buck seventy nine.

I'd put the JB in just cuz. Or something....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

Hey Pete that's a cool finish, but I just noticed your YouTube channel - cool stuff, and I'm subscribing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                Hm, it does seem like a good mod platform for those who want a single hummer. I can see people upgrading tuners, bridge and maybe pu.

What's the neck like?
                Neck reminds me of a older Charvel/ Ibanez neck. Fast and perfect for shredding.

Comment

Superpete, that's a beautiful Beretta! Wow!

Comment

Guitar Center currently has the Candy Blue and Vintage White back in stock if anyone is looking for one... The Vintage White one will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Edit: Candy Blue is now sold out.
                    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-13-2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Those are both sweet. But they both beg for the Nighthawk version of the JB or 59.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nighthawk.png Views:	0 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	6073535

Comment

Also, these come stock with a treble bleed mod. Some like it, some don't. Easy to remove if it isn't your cup of tea. I think they're pretty cool and didn't remove mine. Volume is always cranked on my Beretta
                        Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-13-2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Haha, damn, the sparkly snakeskin is awesome.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

OMG - WANT!!!!!

Please describe you technique for finishing that?!?!?!?!?!

Sure! It was pretty straight forward, my first attempt at a refin. Two tone sparkle snakeskin was probably biting off more than i could chew, but i was in lock down and had plenty of time on my hands. Basically i had the purple baretta that I took apart, a snakeskin stencil i got off ebay, and a bunch of rustoleum spray paint.

once i took the guitar apart i sanded off the clear to a matte purple
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201008_150821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	6073571

then I sprayed that with rustoleum glitter multicolor purple
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201008_192816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	6073570

honestly it looked awesome like this and if i didn't like such ugly guitars i should've stopped here. But I had to go all the way.

First I put down the stencil and the pink
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201010_123200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	6073572
                            After 2 coats of this paint, I sprayed it with rustoleum pink glitter spray paint.

Once that was dry I went back and did the same with metallic gold paint, then gold glitter spray
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201011_155527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	6073573

The stencil didn't cover the entire guitar, so that's why it looks a little wonky around the edges. Or as I call it...giving it character.

After that I hit it with 2 cans of clear, about 16 coats. Let that dry, wet sand 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Buffed it out with Meguires Ultimate compound then ultimate polish and boom! A guitar CC DeVille would be proud to play!
                            Last edited by superpete; 04-13-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

Neck reminds me of a older Charvel/ Ibanez neck. Fast and perfect for shredding.
                              yeah the neck is nice. 42mm nut and 12" radius i think? I do wish the frets were slightly bigger, but that's not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X