banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real, or Memorex. How would I get this sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real, or Memorex. How would I get this sound?

I'm reasonably sure this is a synth. Not an actual guitar. But I friggin' love this tone. How might you do this with a real guitar/pedal/amp combo?

I know this won't be everyone's cup 'o tea, but just listen to 1:47 - 2:10, and 2:38 - 2:57. Sweet silky distortion.

Holy crap, Batman! I just found the live version. It IS real. But it's bass. Not guitar. Wow!

Comment

I think a zvex fuzz factory could a be step in the right direction. you'd want a "velcro" fuzz, or maybe a gated fuzz? not sure of the exact term. Maybe a bit crusher as well?
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

If it's a fuzz, I'm guessing it needs some EQ, and "smoothing." That's silky sweet.

I love how that bass fuzz note rings on at 2:56.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-13-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Many modern fuzzes have a suboctave feature so you could try doing this on guitar. If the fuzz you want to use doesnt have that, you could still use a One Octave Down effect ahead of the fuzz.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

it's a dying 9 volt fuzz pedal effect with a touch of harmonizer or octave/pitch shifter.

this is what you want

Watch when he adds fuzz and starts starving the voltage by trimmed the lighting LED knob around 2:38

and add a touch of this:

Here's a similar effect just starved way way way more than what you want for your example

on the bass through the whole song and then for the guitar solo at :53

Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-13-2021, 05:50 PM.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              Many modern fuzzes have a suboctave feature so you could try doing this on guitar. If the fuzz you want to use doesnt have that, you could still use a One Octave Down effect ahead of the fuzz.
              Yeah. But now that I've seen it, I want to try it on my bass. Fat chance.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Watch when he adds fuzz and starts starving the voltage by trimmed the lighting LED knob around 2:38
                Oh ****! Those were cool too. Thanks for those links.

Oops. Sorry mods. I meant Oh poop.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Oh ****! Those were cool too. Thanks for those links.

Oops. Sorry mods. I meant Oh poop.
                  I added another example in my original link BTW.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    I added another example in my original link BTW.
                    That goes in my permanent playlist. Sweet. Thanks for the link, man.

Comment

That’s Justin Meldal-Johnsen. Supposedly he used a Wooly Mammoth bass fuzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                        Thanks. I'll "google" that.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

that's it! i said fuzz factory but the wooly mammoth is this sound! zvex makes very "velcro-y" fuzzes!
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Wow. That baby is expensive. I guess elephants don't come cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

that's it! i said fuzz factory but the wooly mammoth is this sound! zvex makes very "velcro-y" fuzzes!
                              The Wooly Mammoth was designed by recording engineer Chuck Zwicky, who worked with Prince and others.

I was collaborating with him on a clone of the Wal preamp, but that never came to pass.

You can find clones of the fuzz which you can build yourself.

I plan on making myself one.

Anyone who is a fan of fuzz bass needs to check out the band Nova Twins. The bass player is amazing in the sheer quantity of really weird synthy sounds she gets, and it’s all pedals! They won’t talk about what pedals they use. Half the time she’s the only instrument playing besides the drums. I think they are really exciting.

Comment

Working...
                              X