banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously though. . . What's not to like about a varitone switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously though. . . What's not to like about a varitone switch?

I really like them and they also delineate any other mod work such as single caps that lock you into one tone.

Ergonomically, it just doesn't work for me. It is hard to grab and twist. I might use one to figure out which sound I like, and then I am sure I would keep it in one place and not ever use it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ah. . . Where's your sense of adventure? lol. lol.
      . You would have no idea what position you would leave the switch in before you heard it, would you? Even if it were marked with the values.
      Last edited by solspirit; 04-13-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I like my varitone. I like the cap values between 6.8nf and 22nf and 6.8 might be my favorite. Below 6.8 weren't really useful to me because they only cut highs and just sound similar to turning the volume down. 6.8 is super creamy. 22 is mid bassy, and above that it gets swampy bassy and I don't really have a use for except for on bass.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 04-13-2021, 09:19 PM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          I like my varitone. I like the cap values between 6.8nf and 22nf and 6.8 might be my favorite. Below 6.8 weren't really useful to me because they only cut highs and just sound similar to turning the volume down. 6.8 is super creamy. 22 is mid bassy, and above that it gets swampy bassy and I don't really have a use for except for on bass.
          So. . . You know what cap value goes into a guitar like that with the same setup, correct? Therefore no guess work orevermore.
          . I think that's pretty awesome.

Comment

There is a "VariTone" control on my Jack Casady bass. Electrically it operates differently than the VariTone on guitars, but the end results are comparable. Since my JCB has only 1 pickup, I tend to think of it as a pickup selector switch, but basically it is just another knob I can use to change the tone. I would think the same of a VariTone control on a guitar. I can't think of anything "not to like" about the VariTone.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Ergonomically, it just doesn't work for me. It is hard to grab and twist. I might use one to figure out which sound I like, and then I am sure I would keep it in one place and not ever use it.
            That "one place" can always be Position 1 wich is Bypass.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I'd be interested to try a guitar with it (or temporarily wiring one without actually putting holes in the guitar) to find out the setting that I like the most.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd be interested to try a guitar with it (or temporarily wiring one without actually putting holes in the guitar) to find out the setting that I like the most.
                That right there is the idea. I want to make a testbed Strat.

Comment

Since it is basically a notch filter, I want to be able to move the notch frequency around and bypass it all together. I don't see myself settling in on any one tone.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    Since it is basically a notch filter, I want to be able to move the notch frequency around and bypass it all together. I don't see myself settling in on any one tone.
                    Like a pot or a dial?

Comment

Nothing wrong with a varitone that has not been fitted at all.

Can't stand notch filters on a guitar.....my 2c

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                        So. . . You know what cap value goes into a guitar like that with the same setup, correct? Therefore no guess work orevermore.
                        . I think that's pretty awesome.
                        Yep, I know intuitively what the different ranges of caps sound like and can ballpark which one I'd like to use for a guitar. Just spend time faffing with them and you'll remember.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I used a 4 way switch as the varitone and then just stuck a toggle in the tone 2 spot as the pickup selector.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Like a pot or a dial?
                            What I meant was I wouldn't want to settle in on one notched frequency and always have just that one. For example, always have 900 Hz - 1000 Hz cut out of the signal.

The VariTone already functions similar to a pot or a dial. The VariTone circuit just isn't linear like a pot. A 250k pot can be set for any value between 0 and 250k. But the VariTone can only select 5 specific notch frequencies based on the values of the 5 caps attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                              Nothing wrong with a varitone that has not been fitted at all.

Can't stand notch filters on a guitar.....my 2c
                              I think it's just another tool that can be in the box if I want. However, I haven't yet owned a guitar that has a VariTone.

Comment

Working...
                              X