banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously though. . . What's not to like about a varitone switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Yep, I know intuitively what the different ranges of caps sound like and can ballpark which one I'd like to use for a guitar. Just spend time faffing with them and you'll remember.
    I don't have the time, money or interest interest in fooling around with enough guitars and different pickup and cap combinations.

Comment

It was fun to play with that cap box. The thing that surprised me the most, was the difference in tone even when the tone pot was on "10." I can see a home made varitone in my future.

Comment

Reviewing this topic, we may be discussing different circuits. I think Clint 55 is referencing an implementation which changes the tone cap value. I was referring to the Gibson implementation which has the tone cap fixed but adds a notch filter where the notch frequencies can be changed.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          It was fun to play with that cap box. The thing that surprised me the most, was the difference in tone even when the tone pot was on "10." I can see a home made varitone in my future.
          that surprises me too. ive done a little playing around with a switch and didnt really hear much difference between .047 and .022 when the control was full up. what differences did you hear?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

that surprises me too. ive done a little playing around with a switch and didnt really hear much difference between .047 and .022 when the control was full up. what differences did you hear?
            I mainly heard it between .022 and .068. There was a definite resonant peak shift. Subtle, but there. I think you'd only notice it in a situation where you instantly switch from one to another. You wouldn't notice it if you set one guitar down, and picked up another.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
              Reviewing this topic, we may be discussing different circuits. I think Clint 55 is referencing an implementation which changes the tone cap value. I was referring to the Gibson implementation which has the tone cap fixed but adds a notch filter where the notch frequencies can be changed.
              I no get.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

I no get.
                Sorry, I thought you were describing your switch changing the tone caps connected to the tone pots. The typical Gibson/Epiphone VariTone switch has a different set of caps, resistors and an inductor for it's functionality. Definitely a confusing subject as already noted, my JCB has a VariTone control that uses a transformer to change impedance the pickup is seeing.

Edit: and by "your switch" I just meant one you put in one of your builds. I wasn't implying anything.
                Last edited by JamesPaul; 04-14-2021, 12:11 PM.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd be interested to try a guitar with it (or temporarily wiring one without actually putting holes in the guitar) to find out the setting that I like the most.
                  You might think about a ToneStyler in your current build. I have one in my Iceman and love it.

Stellartone ToneStyler GUITAR TEN

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

You might think about a ToneStyler in your current build. I have one in my Iceman and love it.

That thing is cool, I think I could squeeze it into something around here. Hahaha

Comment

What I like about it at least in the version I have is one position is wide open as if there is no tone control there.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Hahaha! $129!

I use my tone control all the time, and need to have a smooth graduation from on to off.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to have a 345 with a Varitone. That was my favorite guitar and I used the Varitone a lot...not too much mid-song, but came in handy for making a quick and simple change between songs.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What's not to like???? Ever tried rewiring one? I had to rewire a mid 60's ES-345TDSV that'd been left in a shed on a farm for about 25 years.
                            Every kind of rodent in the Australian outback had lived in it or used it as a snack bar!!
                            That was about 25 years ago. I still have nightmares!

(pics are example borrowed from the interwebbything)

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiac Jack View Post
                              What's not to like???? Ever tried rewiring one? I had to rewire a mid 60's ES-345TDSV that'd been left in a shed on a farm for about 25 years.
                              Every kind of rodent in the Australian outback had lived in it or used it as a snack bar!!
                              That was about 25 years ago. I still have nightmares!

(pics are example borrowed from the interwebbything)
                              Hahaha. Not yet but I'll be trying to install one or two of them later this year.

Comment

Have a bottle of Jack on standby!

Comment

Working...
                                X