EART W-2 - Honest look at a cheap Chinese Strandberg purchased from Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EART W-2 - Honest look at a cheap Chinese Strandberg purchased from Amazon

Whew. So. I went and actually did it. I bought one of those cheapo chinese knock off guitars. I had been seeing these things a bunch kicking around YouTube - some real pretty looking Strandberg ripoffs. This one is by a company named EART... Which somehow I'm told stands for Electronic Audio Art.... ??

I saw a couple videos on YouTube, pretty much all seemed shady and probably paid reviews. I've wanted to try a headless for a while and I don't exactly have Strandberg money so I pulled the trigger on one of these Amazon copies. The wood and necks looked good enough for me to take the chance. Worst case scenario, it's Prime, so I can return it with almost no hassle. I figured maybe it's good to go? Or maybe it would make a really nice project?

I hopped on Amazon to grab one and OF COURSE all of the Prime ones are out of stock so I went for one of the non prime ones (direct from seller). I opted for the fixed bridge version since I fully expected cheap hardware and nothing is worse than a cheap tremolo. Shipping took a while, at least compared to ebay, zzounds, AMS, Amazon etc... Though maybe we are spoiled now. Ordered April 2nd arrived April 14th.

​​​​​​This has gone long as hell so I'll cut to the chase. I'm pretty blown away but there were some definite issues.

The good:. The wood is amazing. The top, while thin, is heavily textured and color looks good. Love the matte. Love the open grain back. Neck is very impressive. 5 piece neck. Fretboard, no clue what it is, but was UNBELIEVABLY dry. It soaked up a bunch of conditioner. Looks awesome now though. The fretwork is a big thing everyone talks about on these - there is good and bad here. The good being that the ends sure are dressed nicely. They're unusually perfect. I also am happy with the level job. Seems pretty good to me. The pickups sounded great which really surprised me. They are actually wax potted. I will actually use them on another project. Swapped these out for Seymour Duncan Sentient and Nazgul, something I knew I was doing before I even got the guitar.

The bad: There are some some flaws for sure. I found a bunch of glue marks around the frets. Pretty annoying. I found what is maybe some finish spray or a chemical I'm not sure put a mark on the fretboard that won't take oil. The hardware seems to function just fine, however pickup screws were not installed correctly, making the bridge pickup real crooked. The intonation hex screw on the A string was pre-stripped on the head. Thankfully it's in the right spot, but I may need to replace this or something later on down the line. Output jack is black plastic which I found bizarre. Wiring was ok, nothing special. One pot was loose and needed tightening. Learning this new bridge was a real chore, it's a very strange thing. It does work however. You can definitely tune using your fingers, however it does work best to use the goofy winder thing that sticks to the side of the bridge via magnet. Control cavity cover is not perfectly shaped and looks goofy. And finally, the top piece that secures the ball ends of the strings seems attached really hastily to the top of the neck. The two screws holding it in don't match up with the countersink and angle of the hardware. This leaves a little bit of screw head poking out on each screw. Nothing that hurts function but not aesthetically pleasing. I would also like to point out that it came strung up with fake D'addarios. I knew this immediately as a life long D'addario user. A side by side comparison is always fun because the ball colors are never correct. Anyway, stuck some real strings on it, 10s specifically. I also always tune 1/2 step down.

Once the action was lowered, truss adjusted, SD pickups thrown on, and everything wiped and oiled, this thing friggin screams. Wow. It plays so so good for me. The neck reminds me of an Ibanez - real flat and thin. Really enjoying this Nazgul bridge pickup. Sentient neck seems ok.

If you bought this guitar you would have something awesome out of the box. The strings it came with dont seem terrible, but they weren't D'addario either. Otherwise it played, man, right out of box. Setup wasn't perfect, but it would have been fine for a beginner. Def within the realm of acceptable playability. Pickups were good enough, and with an upgrade this thing is a keeper. I will be upgrading the pots and jack.

I paid I think 330 bucks for this. I do not feel like I got cheated.

I have photos, just need to figure out how to post them.
    "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

I have a Big John Strandberg copy with fan frets. Sounds good, plays good - but the whammy is trash. The neck was loose and the whammy came off during shipping, so I have very little in it. The seller refunded most of my money after some complaining.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_101553.jpg
Views:	2327
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	6073945
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Some pics
      Attached Files
      "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

The whammy is exactly what I was afraid of. A cheap trem is just one more thing that needs upgrading. And yes, those are Sea Monkeys in my pic.

Comment

Love the color
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for the review! What was the full cost (guitar + electronics)...and, was it worth it?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah - bottom line: Is it a keeper? Do you feel it was a plus on the price vs performance?
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Interesting, it seems like the materials and general fit/finish on these is pretty good for the price bracket, with some of the typical compromises in the hardware and electronics. But I guess most of us buy in this budget with a view of changing these things ultimately.

I was looking at the Strat style model they offer, which seems like a lot of guitar for under $200 - compound radius fingerboard, ss frets, roasted neck, 2 pc mahogany body, satin finish, big block trem.

Ace, they also make a single cut, with the forbidden headstock to boot .
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Awesome. I purchased another brand off of Amazon and had a good experience as well.
                  The Eart have caught my eye.

Comment

Wow... looked them up, they sure have some ambitious specs for super low prices
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                    X