banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardtail Superstrat: Steel or Brass Saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtail Superstrat: Steel or Brass Saddles?

Is there really any huge difference in tone between the two, or is it negligible? Mind you, pretty much everything that will be played on this guitar will be with a decent amount of gain.

I'm curious too.

Comment

I have one guitar with a brass bridge my Ovation Deacon 12-string. It is bright, alive, and chimney. I can not directly attribute the tone to the bridge but I have played the same model with nylon saddles and it was not as bright and alive as the brass. I have no idea how it would compare to steel.

Comment

Steel would be brighter. Better yet, titanium.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a difference but IME it isn't night and day. There's some difference between bent steel and cast/machined steel, too.

Unless you already know this particular guitar leans toward the bright side tonally, I'd probably start with bent steel, the baseline norm.

You can always switch to brass later on if you feel that it could do with a bit more warmth.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I notice a difference between the two–steel seems to have more "chime" and brighter than brass, IMO. I like both and use both...have noticed that Cobalt strings cut into Brass rather quickly. Would go with what works best for the overall look of the guitar and adjust with EQ.

Comment

Brass is also softer, so it is pretty easy to eventually saw the grooves pretty deep over time.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I noticed a little bit of extra ping with steel saddles, not much, but it is there. The brass still has some nice chime, but a bit fuller. They both sound excellent.

Cole
                Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

i agree, steel is a bit brighter than brass, nylon is less bright than either. id probably go with steel in your case

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Yeah - under high gain, I'm thinking it wouldn't matter. Clean, sure...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thankfully, it’s not a massive mod to switch saddles out, so I’d say understand the difference with your ears and experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Brass is also softer, so it is pretty easy to eventually saw the grooves pretty deep over time.
                          Depends on the brass. If the material is bell brass, it will get harder as it is abraded.

Also, a bunch of saddles that are chrome plated are NOT steel. The diecast saddles are pot metal or a zinc alloy.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I even like the warmer sound of String Saver saddles, which work well in a hardtail, too.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X