Should everyone own a telecaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should everyone own a telecaster?

Been thinking of adding a tele to my arsenal. I have never owned a tele before and only played one once around 25 years ago. I remember liking it then, but I was younger, and the thought of having a tele seemed not cool. I've always been into strats, or super strats mostly. Sure, I have a Les Paul and an SG, but the strat shape is the most comfortable to me and the one I am most used to.

The telecaster I got my eye on is a Squier Affinity in Butterscotch Blonde, cause I don't want to spend much. Reviews look good. I can always upgrade it later if do end up liking the guitar. If not, it can easily be returned. What worries me the most, though, is not having the contour for your arm to rest on. That is one of the reasons I don't own many arch top guitars.

I would try to find an older used Squier Standard or Vintage Modified model instead of buying an Affinity. You could even get one that was pretty battle-scarred already and file/sand yourself an arm rest into it. To me, Affinitys seem like a conglomeration of too many sub-standard parts to be very useable, and I've seen too many of them with warped necks and broken parts after just a couple of years to trust them.

Comment

Tele pickups are a truly iconic and great sound. Being a bolt on neck with hard tail bridge, they're dirt simple and rock solid tuning wise. However the body and upper fret access are both awful, failed 9th grade wood shop style mistakes, and of no value. They are uncomfortable to play . . . and I exclusively played a 335 for 10 years. There is no benefit to the discomfort, just a stupid dogmatic adherence to tradition. See if you can find a Squier jazzcaster instead.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There is also the Classic Vibe models that look interesting. Not sure about humbuckers in a tele. I want that classic look and twang if I get one. Be alot different that any guitars I have for sure.

Comment

Does the Schecter PT tele count? I might play one of those. Otherwise I'll stick with some sort of strat.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Does the Schecter PT tele count? I might play one of those. Otherwise I'll stick with some sort of strat.

Never considered the Schecter. I have to look into that one.

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think it may be available with a set neck and body contour.

Comment

Tele's are cool. And in the 21st century, they can be had in almost any pickup and bridge configuration. So, yup. Add one to your stable. And Schecter is becoming one of my favorite brands.

Comment

Schecter PT Fastback does have body contours. I love this color. Click image for larger version

Name:	L75500000001000-00-1600x1600.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	6074319

Comment

I grew up on Super Strats...migrated to Strats and then finally opened up to a Tele. Now I mainly play Teles. They are truly great guitars...probably not for EVERYONE but definitely worth giving a try.

Comment

Ya know, of all the guitar models out there, Teles best mix versatility with simple usability. No matter who you are or what your goals are, you will always be able to find a Tele configuration that's right for you.

I say go for it. Don't buy one thinking that you have to mod it, but also don't be afraid to make your Tele work for you.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Nah, I am not sure everyone should own one. I've never had any desire to own one, especially a traditional one. But I give anyone permission to buy what they want, providing it doesn't cause a hardship.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

generally I think it's good practice to own guitars responsible for iconic songs in genres you like

so if you're into country, blues, bluegrass, rockabilly, classic rock, modern rock, soul, r&b, funk, midwest emo, indie rock, or whatever tf marylin manson is... prob a good idea to have a tele

Also I'd generally try to avoid buying guitars online. The only guitars I've ever come across that sounded consistently great were acoustics made by old dudes at their house who'd made more than 1,000 guitars prior to that and can literally tap on a piece of spruce and tell you exactly what the finished guitar will be like... and those usually cost at least $5,000

What's more, I've often gone out and played every "x" type guitar in town in any price range and it's not uncommon to not find one I gel with at that time... guitars are made of wood, wood is inconsistent, the only thing reviews and price tags really reflect are quality of workmanship and components... you will 100% find completely uninspiring custom shop guitars.

Play everything, buy local, and you'll end up with guitars you want to keep
                          Originally posted by gibson175
                          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            I grew up on Super Strats...migrated to Strats and then finally opened up to a Tele. Now I mainly play Teles. They are truly great guitars...probably not for EVERYONE but definitely worth giving a try.
                            This reminds me of my uncle. He has always played a strat. Had many in his collection at one point, until he bought his first tele. He sold all his Fender strats and has nothing but telecasters now. Massive collection of nothing but them. He is left handed and I am right handed, so I can't play any of them. Even if I wanted, no one touches his guitars but him.

My favorites of his is a custom Waylon Jennings tele that looks just like Waylon's guitar. I asked one day how much he payed for it, but he wouldn't tell me. He has owned that one a good 30 years and I am pretty sure that's his #1. My second favorite of his is a Merle Haggard tele. He also has a John 5 signature Fender.
                            Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-15-2021, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
                              Should everyone own a telecaster?
                              No
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X