banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Gibson use cryogenically treated frets recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries.

Comment

Really? Cryogenic Frets? How about if they just effing made sure they were polished and the nut was cut decently? Why don't we get that right before we get all fancy and sci-fi. Maybe learn how to work a basic file.

More likely they removed everyones brains and cryogenically froze them.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gibson needs depleted Uranium frets.

Comment

No matter what they did
          someone would complain

They want the vintage spongy brass fret sound on their Gibby

When i got my Epiphone Florentine
          I had just played Jerry's Les Paul Signature 335
          and it had the super low frets
          I asked the guy at the shop if he could file them down to the super low mystery fret level

Thankfully he talked me out of it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Starting in 2014 they were using cryo frets- my 2015 has low profile cryo frets. Not sure if they still used them in 2016, since they felt much higher that year.

The low frets intonate far better than any other Gibson I’ve played
            Last edited by jmh151; 04-20-2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

My research suggests that they used it sporadically until about 2018. This is probably when they ran out of their initial supply. As I've posted, the frets looked brand now, so the treatment obviously works well to prevent wear. I would like to see a Gibson fretted with this stuff 20 years down the road - will they still look new and untouched? Only time will tell. Hope I don't run into another guitar so equipped - frets that don't wear are bad news for repair guys....
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Not being familiar with what this process is supposed to do....what is this process supposed to do?
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not being familiar with what this process is supposed to do....what is this process supposed to do?
                  Cryogenic treatment slowly reduces the temperature of the material to -300 degrees and holds it for 20 hours before bringing the temp back up slowly. This process compresses the crystalline structure of the metal, making it denser and harder. It reduces wear and deformation of the metal - which is what happens to normal nickel silver frets during playing.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Cryogenic treatment slowly reduces the temperature of the material to -300 degrees and holds it for 20 hours before bringing the temp back up slowly. This process compresses the crystalline structure of the metal, making it denser and harder. It reduces wear and deformation of the metal - which is what happens to normal nickel silver frets during playing.
                    Ahhh, I didn't know this. I wonder why they just don't use a harder metal to begin with?

Comment

Ahhh, I didn't know this. I wonder why they just don't use a harder metal to begin with?
                      You have suggestions, Dave? Got your engineering degree handy?

Don't say titanium - it's strong and light, but not easy to form. Good wear resistance? Believe it or not - cast iron is tough as hell. You want exotics like Inconel or Waspalloy? High dollar. Someone suggested depleted uranium which would be heavy as hell, but resists heavy artillery.

I'm making fun of you, Dave. There's a reason nickel silver has been used almost 100 years. It works.
                      Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-20-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Could you really make cast iron frets?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

You have suggestions, Dave? Got your engineering degree handy?

Don't say titanium - it's strong and light, but not easy to form. Good wear resistance? Believe it or not - cast iron is tough as hell. You want exotics like Inconel or Waspalloy? High dollar. Someone suggested depleted uranium which would be heavy as hell, but resists heavy artillery.

I'm making fun of you, Dave. There's a reason nickel silver has been used almost 100 years. It works.
                          Nothing that exotic. Just stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            Silver please hehe.
                            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

We put a man on the moon didn't we? No one would want them, so why bother?

Comment

Someone suggested depleted uranium which would be heavy as hell, but resists heavy artillery.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                                X