banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Gibson use cryogenically treated frets recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the camp of using a harder fret that pasts longer. 95% of guitars perhaps never get refretted and if they do, it is only done once, and generally only for repair. There is only a small percentage of guitarists neurotic enough to want to reduce the thickness of a perfectly good fret, but they do exist. I own three guitars that could probably use a refret, but apparently, the low and invisible fret is a thing I was not aware of? I don't particularly care for low frets, but I will live with whatever I am handed. I prefer medium jumbo frets with a very small flat spot on the top, not ever totally rounded. Why do you ask? Well, I am a string bender and found with perfectly crowned frets, that I quickly develop a flat spot anyway on the strings I bend most often. This obviously creates an uneven fret landing where it transitions between round and flattened. I found with a slightly flattened top ( all the way across ) the increased surface area resists wear a little longer before it gets too flat.

I have had some weird requests over the years repairing guitars, but I guess I have not come across the guy that wants to spend lots of money to make their perfectly fine frets be flatter and lower.

I feel that using a harder fret such as Cryo treated frets of simply Stainless just makes a guitar that once you get it where you want it ( based on the frets original profile ), it just lasts longer and you may never truly need a refret. You only get a couple or few refrets, before the neck is at risk of needing much more involved work or other tricky solutions to retain the frets securely. So I try and build guitars to need that job ONCE, when it was built.

Comment

Most repair guys would think the cryo frets are uncool.... because fret levels and refrets are money in the bank....
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Someone suggested depleted uranium which would be heavy as hell, but resists heavy artillery.
        60-cycle hum ALL the time - and who needs LED fret markers anyway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that I think about it, other than materials, there hasn't been a huge advancement in fret design for years. However, I think in the 70s there were experiments with triangular frets and sawtooth frets as well.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Now that I think about it, other than materials, there hasn't been a huge advancement in fret design for years. However, I think in the 70s there were experiments with triangular frets and sawtooth frets as well.
            Wasnt there a guitar company that made a fretboard that the frets were a molded part of the board? Each fret was kinda like a little triangle where the peak of the triangle was the fret.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Wasnt there a guitar company that made a fretboard that the frets were a molded part of the board? Each fret was kinda like a little triangle where the peak of the triangle was the fret.
              Yes - the Bond. Back in the 80's.

Comment

Yes thats it, thanks Goober
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Never had a chance to play one, but it was a cool idea. I don't know how they handled 'wear' since the fret was part of the fretboard. You can sort of see it in this pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc05983.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	6075926
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is exactly the one I was thinking of. Thats about the closest thing I can think of to innovations in frets

Ok sorry for thread highjacking back to regularly scheduled program
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

As I remember, the fingerboard was carbon fiber....... Which, as it turns out - does wear out.

Comment

Working...
                      X