banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep nuts (jack, pots etc) in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep nuts (jack, pots etc) in place?

Hey guys.-

I'm noticing that the nuts (is that the right word, for the things that you screw on, on your jack plug assembly?)

"My nuts" are coming loose all the time,. On my jack, my volume/tone controls. I tighten it, but still it comes loose.

Is there something I can apply, that will make them... sit there, without locking them in place forever?

I'm giving my dear Epi Wildkat Koa a spring service... ...

So. All tips and replies are greatly appreciated;

-if there's something else I should do this time of year (servicing my guitar), please mention it!

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

If you can get it over there a lIttle bit of blue lock tite or plumbers tape will help.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The little spikey lock washer goes on the underside in between pot or jack and the wood of the guitar. Supposed to grab and hold so when you tighten the nut on the top, the pressure locks it in place.

Comment

It's called a tool. Turn it until the nut is tight.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I have a nut on the jack on my LTD that no matter how tight I make it, it eventually works loose, eventually the nut stripped out from it working loose. I ended up using a lil plumber's tape on the threads of the jack and seems to help the issue.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Dab of blue lock tite, super glue, or nail polish should do it.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Flat washer on the guitar, then a lock washer (either with teeth or a pressure lock washer), then the nut and tighten. Works for me every time. Clear nail polish works great too. I've used that on the input jacks of all my amps. Never had one come loose.

Comment

You really need to deal with your anger in a more positive manner.

Comment

This strikes me as odd. I don't recall ever having a nut come loose, once tightened properly. You shouldn't need any kind of thread locker. But, every situation is different. Sorry that that's not more helpful.

Comment

I've had problems with things coming loose before . . . but usually when I forget to put a lock washer under the nut. With the lock washer stuff should stay in place pretty well.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's not anger. It's disappointment.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Use a socket to get it tightened properly.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

If you can use a socket set, or a wrench, you can get 'er tightened down farther. More than a pair of pliers.

Some nuts just come loose more often, though. Maybe they can't be tightened down enough to really lock. I find this happening on my input jacks, so I just finger tighten them when they get loose. Minor annoyance, but easily overcome. Takes probably 10 seconds per month of my life.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Plumbing tape will work and not be permanent.

Comment

I use a lock washer, and check all of the nuts and screws on the guitar when I change strings.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X