banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep nuts (jack, pots etc) in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nail polish works
    tighten
    Then ad a dab to the connection
    let it dry
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 04-22-2021, 11:55 AM.
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Never heard of nuts or screws coming loose all the time. You sure it's not your brain playing tricks on you again? Drugs can make you see things non existent; hence the term hallucinogenic.

Comment

Everyone already covered the loose nuts issue. Great advice.

But if you ever have problems with your strap buttons becoming loose over time, put a toothpick inside. That's a trick my old luthier told me about many years ago. Works like a charm.

Comment

Nail polish works
          I've used clear nail polish elsewhere on guitar hardware, and it works well. No reason it wouldn't work here. It's not permanent, because it won't stick tightly - comes off when you force it. Or a touch of acetone will loosen it for a minute. Cheap Loctite, and invisible.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Careful with red loctite. It's supposedly permanent. I don't think I'd want any nut on my guitar to be permanently fastened. Blue loctite would be a better option than red loctite on a guitar IMO. Other suggestions on here are better than loctite.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Red and Green loctite need to be heated to 250 and 400 degrees F to release
              not so good for guitars
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, avoid red and green loctite. BLUE only or clear nail polish.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  Red and Green loctite need to be heated to 250 and 400 degrees F to release
                  not so good for guitars
                  Agreed.

It would instantly loosen when I'm playing my blazing fast solos . . . : D
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I prefer using star or split lock washers. They can be had in finishes that matches many colors (mainly chrome, nickel, zinc plated, gold and a variety of blacks). Some types (mainly the stars) will have limited availability in some finishes.

For those applications that dont have enough threads to add such washers, I use a dab of easily available clear nail polish, a little goes a long way so don't apply too much else twill be even more difficult to remove (idea here is to prevent it from working lose from the vibrations the guitar is experiencing, NOT make it unremovable without damage to the guitar itself).
                    Wa Hiki Hui Hou Mākou... (Until We Meet Again...)
                    -GhostGuitars

Comment

Great advice here like use a tooth pick or tape or something non permanent to keep screws in place. I would add that not to over tighten the screws or the screw could make the hole loose.

Comment

Over-tightened screws can also crack the surrounding finish, too.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for all the nice answers and tips, guys!

I'll try some clear nail polish, since that makes sense in my mind. Strong enough to keep things in place, but brittle enough to let it come loose if needed!

I really appreciate you all, and this forum,
                          sincerely,

-Erlend ♪
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X