Warmoth build tuning issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth build tuning issues

Hi everyone! I just did a PRS style warmoth build and I am having some serious tuning issues. I have a Wilkinson Tremolo bridge, Hipshot locking tuners and a Graphtech black TUSQ nut. I finished the build yesterday and am inexperienced with tremolos. How long should I expect the tuning issues to continue and what can I do to fix them myself?

I know little bout Wilkinson trems but may help those that do have experience with them to describe the issues you are having with it.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Just the basics: the top 4 strings go out of tune when I use the whammy bar. Sometimes those strings will go out of tune without whammy use though.

Comment

My initial thoughts.

1. The strings aren't stretched out. Tug slightly at the 12th fret, retune, repeat several times.
        2. They are getting caught up in the nut slot. If you have not done anything to the nut, I can about guarantee that is happening. The slots may need to be lowered a bit as well. Had to do it with my Warmoth build. If you don't know how to work on the nut, take it to a good tech.

Comment

Thank you! I'll check the nut because I have already stretched the strings thoroughly.

Comment

Has the guitar had a complete setup by someone with experience? If the action is too high at the nut it will never play in tune because fretting the string sharps it at both ends.... I have Wilkinson trems on a couple guitars and found them to be excellent performers when paired with locking tuners and a superb setup.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

It has not been set up professionally

Comment

Do the strings 'ping' when tuning? If so, the nut slots are catching, and need to be carefully polished or *slightly* widened. Also, if you can press on the string above the nut and the tuning changes (stays changed after you stop pressing), it's the nut slots.

Most cases like this will center around the nut; the strings need to be able to smoothly move through the slots, regardless of the bridge or tuning machines; if they don't, nothing else will fix the issue.

Larry

Comment

First thing I'd try is to rub some pencil lead in the nut slots, you're likely getting the strings bound up at the nut. This is why locking nuts were created. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've already tried the pencil lead so I think I'm just gonna have to get it slotted

Comment

After you make sure that the strings can glide over nut and bridge without binding and nothing is loose in bridge or nut (any movement will cause pitch change), then check out this video

I tried it on a squire strat and I think it works really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SawDusty View Post
                        After you make sure that the strings can glide over nut and bridge without binding and nothing is loose in bridge or nut (any movement will cause pitch change), then check out this video

I tried it on a squire strat and I think it works really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I need to try that on Classic Vibe.

Comment

It's the nut 99% of the time. Hipshot makes amazing tuners and their locking mechanism is second to none. Even if strings don't do the PING sound, they can still bind in the nut.

The Wilkinson VS100 is superstable. I hate the sound it has, it sounds like crap compared to a Schaller or Hipshot (I tried, I really, really tried) but it is stable like a rock. Unless you use a 6 screw bridge in which case I can only say that I'm sorry.

I hate the 6 screw bridges and I'll never use them as long as I live.

Comment

Working...
                          X