Newbie DIY'er At It Again!!,,, Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie DIY'er At It Again!!,,, Nuts

Howdo all~ On to my experimental, dispendable nut,,, typically, when fretting the 3rd frets, how much space should there be between the 1st fret & the string above it?
    Never too old to learn!! Thnx

p.s.
    I've been duly corrected, & dispendable must be some combo of expendable & dispendable,,, but no luthier tips offered on the 'other' chat room,,,, lordy lord ॐ
    Last edited by zozoe; 04-23-2021, 11:02 PM.

enough that the strings dont buzz but they play in tune

Comment

Measure it on a guitar with a good setup
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

It depends on several things, but in general - about .005 on the plain strings and .010 on the wound.... No hard and fast rules, you understand?
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

OK - I have never heard this "fret the third fret" and then measure the string to the 1st fret deal...

Shouldn't the question be: How far should the string be to the first fret when fretting nothing?
          - As in "Is the nut too high/low?"
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I check string height at the first and last fret because most guys play the whole thing.

Comment

THNX all,, BUT the million dollare question is HOW to do the cut, on a slight downward angle, w/the lower side being towards the neck??

Comment

Typically, you want just enough space (when fretting the third fret) that you can strike the string downward above the first fret, and hear the slightest 'ping.' That lets you know it wasn't resting on the fret, and moved enough to strike it.

As ICTGoober noted, it also varies from plain to wound strings; I tend to leave a bit more on the low E and A, because I sometimes pretend I can play stuff like "Hot Rod Lincoln", and I'm a ham-fist.

Larry

Comment

if anything you want the nut slot to slightly fall off to the headstock
                  think of a very slight ramp down

if this is reversed then the string will rest at the back of the slot and buzz on the front

if you make it perfectly flat(level) then it will have a slight buzz when played hard

Ace

this it the common way of checking nut height (fret on third fret, check clearance on first fret)

you can also measure the height of the first fret
                  add up some metal shims + .005-.010 of that measurement then lay those at the front of the nut, on the fretboard and file down to them
                  the metal will let you know when you've gone far enough
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

THNX all,, BUT the million dollare question is HOW to do the cut, on a slight downward angle, w/the lower side being towards the neck??
                    OH. I have a large selection of razor files in 5 widths, a set of nut files, and a set of needle files. It depends on the material I'm cutting and what's needed for each specific guitar. Short, small strokes get the job done - measuring often.

Comment

I've always measured on the best-playing guitar I have, and try to mimic the cut of the nut and height of the fret. I've also gone slightly less than a .009 string, and that seems to work, too.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All you kind folks are the best!! & Mincer, you rock!!
                        thanx

Comment

Working...
                        X