My $129 guitar sounds better than my $600 guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My $129 guitar sounds better than my $600 guitar

Crazy? Yeah, it really blows my mind to think about it.

I got a killer Kramer Focus VT-211S that retails for $129 and a Epiphone SG Custom which retails for $579. I know everyone perceives sound differently and we all have our personal opinions on everything, but I am happy to admit the $129 guitar is better in every way. The playability and tone. The neck profile I like better. The stock pickups. And it is MORE fun to pick up and play.

I have owned many cheap guitars but nothing on this level has moved me as much as this Kramer. Are they all made the same as this one and sound the same? Not at all. I am just surprised just how good this guitar is compared to much more expensive ones I have.

I think I am done buying expensive guitars from here on out...

Oh, I forgot to mention I only payed $60 for the Kramer local.

Comment

Sometimes it's like that.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Sometimes it's like that.

Comment

Sell that dog Epiphone
          cant charge more than the better guitar
          Ill give ya $50
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Sell that dog Epiphone
            cant charge more than the better guitar
            Ill give ya $50
            Hehe. Yeah I am considering selling it. Not that low though

Comment

I knew it. I was thinking in my head before I clicked on the thread: "Is the higher priced one a box?"
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Well this isn't really cheap vs expensive, it's cheap vs lower mid-level.

I think it's also very common to experience this when it's upper mid-level vs high-end.

I had a girlfriend once buy a Squire Strat in an attempt to be like Mike, or in this case Dave lol,,,,,,,,,,and the damned thing ended up being quite nice playing and sounding, that is after I spent some time on the frets and setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I think it's also very common to experience this when it's upper mid-level vs high-end.

I had a girlfriend once buy a Squire Strat in an attempt to be like Mike, or in this case Dave lol,,,,,,,,,,and the damned thing ended up being quite nice playing and sounding, that is after I spent some time on the frets and setup.
                  Still a big difference in price. Everything about the SG should be far superior to the Focus and overall a better quality guitar. Nope. Even unplugged it doesn't have good resonance. Good thing the resell value on the SG Custom is good. I do like the way it looks, though. I have another Epiphone SG as well. A G-400 Pro that sounds better than the Custom and both guitars are almost identical and setup the same.
                  Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-26-2021, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    I knew it. I was thinking in my head before I clicked on the thread: "Is the higher priced one a box?"
                    Not a box. But it will be back in a box before long

Comment

Just what I was thinking !

I think it's also very common to experience this when it's upper mid-level vs high-end..
                      Good point !

Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Good sound is where you find it.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think most guitarists have experienced something like this. The really great playing/sounding but really cheap are few and far between, so cherish them when you find them.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Great find OP. It's a journey! Play on!
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Somehow people still think that the very subjective issue of tone is somehow controlled by the very objective issue of price.
                              You can quite literally double the price of a guitar made with the very same slabs of wood by adding in fancy bindings and inlay. Does absolutely nothing to tone.
                              Many also find the really punchy high output pickups of cheaper models suit people's tastes, as well as hiding some of the 'blandness' that many cheapies can suffer from.

But an individual instance used as to justify a rule is as likely wrong as right. You should never use 1 example to dictate behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                              X