Talk to me about the Epiphone P90 SGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the Epiphone P90 SGs

So, last year they released the faded and gloss models, following the later and earlier 60s vibes respectively.

I know the earlier 60s spec one appeared as a limited edition for the 50th anniversary of the SG back in 2011; those had the more vintage style three-on-a-strip tuners, probably rosewood board, and some different colours.

Anyone play/own one? What do you think?
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

I only have the Gibson version of the Classic in the second picture. Can't speak to the Epiphone versions.

Comment

I heard a band about 2 weeks ago with the Epi version, into an old Peavey 5150. It sounded amazing to me, at least with giant power chords- that is pretty much what the guitarist played.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I own neither of these, but all things considered, I'd take the Epi every day of the week.

Comment

One thing I've heard is that the fretwork can be a bit inconsistent. The pups seem to be in the 7k range, so seemingly useable out of the box. The horn bevels seem to be more pronounced (same on regular Gibson USA), not as much as vintage and CS guitars, but better imo than in previous years.

Yeah, I remember when the Gibson Classic came out, they were quite popular. Still holding value today.

I can imagine it would rawk hard through a 5150!
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I played one at GC in my guitar shopping last year. Super juicy tone, lots of fun to spank around on. I didn't take it home, but it was dang cool.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              I played one at GC in my guitar shopping last year. Super juicy tone, lots of fun to spank around on. I didn't take it home, but it was dang cool.
              Cool. Glossy or faded model?

Comment

Working...
              X