Another question concerning the wiring on my pot wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question concerning the wiring on my pot wiring harness

When I look at the pot wiring harness I ordered it appears the only two connections that are there is the ground wire that connects all four pots together and two orange drop caps. I don't see any other connections or wires present. I ordered what is called a 50's wiring harness. When I look at Seymour Duncan's wiring diagram for 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 2 tones, and a 3-way toggle I see two other wires connected.One wire goes from the outside of the bridge volume pot to the outside lug of a tone pot, and the other wire goes from the outside lug of the neck volume pot to the outside lug of a tone pot.

Do I just ignore those wires and don't put those in? Just use the 50's wiring harness the way it is and it will work okay?

When I look at the photo of what I purchased maybe I do see those wires. Maybe I am getting confused thinking those are those ground wires that go around all the pots. If someone could look at the photo and give me some clarification.

Last edited by 357mag; 04-30-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I believe this article will answer your questions: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t.../lespaulwiring
      “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Can you post a pic of what you actually have?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I will have soon an Epiphone 50's Les Paul Standard and I already posted a link above to the wiring harness I purchased from Ebay.

Comment

That article does not answer what I'm trying to understand. When you look at the harness I ordered I'm trying to understand the black wires which connect the volume and tone pots together. Are those two wires part of the long ground wire that connects and grounds all 4 pots? Or are those two wires do they coincide with the two wires that the Duncan diagram shows going from the outside lugs of the volume pots to the tone pots?

Comment

The cap going between the volume and tone on your 50's harness replaces the black wire connecting the volume and tone seen in the duncan diagram. Do not add the black wire from the duncan diagram. The duncan diagram is 'modern' wiring. Your harness is '50's wiring' and is intentionally different.

Comment

Okay Thank You. I assume then that my wiring harness has all 4 pots already grounded and I won't have to run a ground wire to connect all 4 pots? I'm not planning on using the supplied metal shield.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                  I assume then that my wiring harness has all 4 pots already grounded and I won't have to run a ground wire to connect all 4 pots?
                  Correct. You just need to run a ground to the output jack, and usually, to the 3-way switch too. (I accidentally left off the ground wire to the switch. All colors are just for clarity.) Neither of those is showing full size. Let me know if you need more clarity, and I'll post the full sized pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	357mag-normal.png Views:	4 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	6077485 Click image for larger version  Name:	357mag-independent.png Views:	4 Size:	141.9 KB ID:	6077486
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-01-2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Well the toggle switch assembly I bought has the ground wire already soldered to one of the braided wires coming from the toggle switch so that is already grounded. Here is the switch assembly I ordered:

Comment

Cool. That should make it even easier. Just connect those two grounds to wherever is most convenient on the pot assembly.

This isn't the best pic in the world, but basically, you want to go for this. (This guy used a much bigger glob of solder than I would, but it works.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	357mag-solder.png
Views:	68
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	6077537
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-01-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X