banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fender Vintera Road Worn series Strat is so good it almost doesn't make sense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fender Vintera Road Worn series Strat is so good it almost doesn't make sense...

Hi there,

Haven't been on here in years, used to practically live here as a kid!

Anyways, I just got a Fender 50s Vintera Road Worn Stratocaster (pictured below)... and I just have to say... it almost doesn't make sense how good it is. I've never had the pleasure of owning any Fender Custom Shop stuff, but I have had my share of Strats over the years. American, Japanese, Mexican: I've had 'em all at some point or another.

I can say without reservation that it's the best Strat I've ever owned. It's made at the Mexico factory but It blows the 2012 American FSR Strat I recently sold out of the water. Out of the box, somehow it was already BEAUTIFULLY set up, didn't have to adjust a thing. What's even stranger, at least based on reputation, the 7.5" diameter fretboard feels as comfortable doing bends as anything I've ever played, which is not what I was expecting. Playing leads and rhythm both feel great.

When I open it up, even the soldering and wiring was simply pristine. The aforementioned American Strat I had actually was kinda sloppily done, I did a better job myself and a master soldering I am not.

I suppose perhaps because this is one of the "top of the line" guitar in the Ensenada factory, they take extra good care? Maybe I just got lucky? I dunno. All I can say is that line of guitars (the 60s one I played was great as well) is truly impressive, and I highly recommend them if you're in the market for a mid-priced Strat.

OKAY NOW FOR A QUESTION (if anyone is still reading): the stock pickups (which can now be bought aftermarket as well) are quite good, but the tinkerer in me wants to keep playing with different pickups and whatnot just because it's fun.

Any suggestions? I've been knowing to play with plenty of gain, but like my Strats to still sound like Strats, if you know what I mean? I've tried the Texas Hots Antiquities before, they are very good, but not quite for me. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? (SD or otherwise...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	6077445
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Classic Stacks in the neck and middle can take gain well, and stay dead quiet. They also do everything a great Strat pickup does. For the bridge, a Custom Stack is a great pickup with more power. If you like your old pickups keep them. I'd even suggest wiring up the new pickups on a pickguard so you can swap easily.
    That was a great series that Fender made (I don't think they still make them, do they?). Good reports all around. Yours is the color I would get, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Mincer, yeah I'm considering giving those a shot. Not a bad idea about the pick guard. They actually still do make them, or at the very least they're still selling new. Like here:

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8W9QCL...roduct_details
      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

It is so hard to keep track of Fender's offerings. I get a lot of the 'series names' all mixed up.

Comment

Keep the stock pickups in and tinker on your other guitars. Sounds like you've got a real winner on your hands. Sometimes it's good to leave things alone

The Mexico factory seems to have upped it's game significantly. I say this from reading countless rave reviews to my own pretty righteous experience with my 2019 Player Precision Bass gigging, recording, and just being so dang satisfied with it.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Classic Stacks in the neck and middle can take gain well, and stay dead quiet. They also do everything a great Strat pickup does. For the bridge, a Custom Stack is a great pickup with more power. If you like your old pickups keep them. I'd even suggest wiring up the new pickups on a pickguard so you can swap easily.
            That was a great series that Fender made (I don't think they still make them, do they?). Good reports all around. Yours is the color I would get, too.
            I bought the classic stack set on your recommendation and really like them.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyBsurfin View Post

I bought the classic stack set on your recommendation and really like them.
              Oh very cool! I still love mine, too!

Comment

It's hard to suggest pickups without knowing more about what you are attempting to achieve tonally. There's probably dozens of sets of absolutely great pickups on the market - but it all depends on what you're attempting to do with them.

High gain playing suggests you might want something like a stacked or single size humbucker. Or noiseless single coils.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

What Mincer said for neck and middle but I suggest the Vintage Hot Stack for bridge. IMO, the STK-S7 is very good match to the STK-S4, a continuity of the tone. I would also take the opportunity to wire the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup. I can play almost everything with that pickup combo, and the STK-S7 takes gain without a sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                    What Mincer said for neck and middle but I suggest the Vintage Hot Stack for bridge. IMO, the STK-S7 is very good match to the STK-S4, a continuity of the tone. I would also take the opportunity to wire the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup. I can play almost everything with that pickup combo, and the STK-S7 takes gain without a sweat.
                    Yes, this is a great choice, too.

Comment

i love the stk4n, stk4m, stk7 set too. the stk4b isnt bad, but the 7 is a little fatter and isnt quite as cutting on the top but still sounds like a strat bridge pup. the stk6 has more power and is another step up in thickness which some people would prefer

Comment

Working...
                      X