Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiM Fender Statocaster with Fat 50s Pickups

Hi guys!

I'm sure similart opics havebeen discussed before but I'll go for it anyways..

I've been looking into a buying my first Fender Strat recently and have been eyeing up various models. To be honest I've recently been put off spending big money on guitars since we usually end up changing parts, playing about with them etc anyway..

My perfect strat would be a 60s style sound, vintage-style components, olympic white with rosewood fingerboard.

There is a 2007-08 Mexican Strat going second hand near me and I have a set of Fat 50s pickups already. Would this strat with these pickups get me close to an American Fender sound? Has anyone played this strat of this year before? Any comments on it?

I always thought stock Mexican Strats sounded like their American counterparts just stock. These days, you'd need noiseless pickups- the higher end USA Strats all have them.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the fat 50s are great sounding pups and mim strats are usually great. ive never loved any of fenders noiseless offerings

Comment

Fat 50's are Custom Shop pickups and were actually used as the stock pickups in the American Standard Strat line from 2012-2016. So yes, they will sound like an American Strat.

I had a set of Fat 50's in a guitar and they are really great pickups.
        -
        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Thanks a lot to everyone! There is a Fender Classic Player 60s for sale near me. Anyone have experience with this guitar?

Comment

they ones ive played have been nice but they were friends guitars that had been gone over and setup, not modded, just tweaked and adjusted

Comment

Maybe a silly question, but aren't you selling an ibanez AZ model?
              Is there something about that guitar you really don't like or would it not be worth your while putting the fat 50s in the AZ? All you'd need is a new scratch plate if you have the pups already.

I haven't played one but from the specs, I would have thought that would be a great strat killer there. I don't get why you'd want to go for a mex strat unless it's something you've tried out and it just feels better to you...just my 2c worth.
              ...and either way good luck with whatever route you end up taking.

(If I didn't have other priorities right now I might well be tempted to take it off your hands but I'm afraid it is definitely not on the cards.)

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                Maybe a silly question, but aren't you selling an ibanez AZ model?
                Is there something about that guitar you really don't like or would it not be worth your while putting the fat 50s in the AZ? All you'd need is a new scratch plate if you have the pups already.

I haven't played one but from the specs, I would have thought that would be a great strat killer there. I don't get why you'd want to go for a mex strat unless it's something you've tried out and it just feels better to you...just my 2c worth.
                ...and either way good luck with whatever route you end up taking.

(If I didn't have other priorities right now I might well be tempted to take it off your hands but I'm afraid it is definitely not on the cards.)
                Hi!

Saw I do indeed have an AZ and have had it for about 18 months now. It's an insane guitar, hits every spot. I originally bought it for the seemless playability and the crazy specs. Although I love the sound it plays, it just doesnt really sound like a vintage strat. Soft and sweet. I put the fat 50s in it with a lower output humbucker and had it like that for about a year but it still never really gave me that vintage stratty satisfaction. So I switched things back out.

The main reason I'm trying to sell it though is because I need the money right now. Covid has me out of business so if I sell that and use the oney to buy a cheaper guitar (a mex strat of some sort), it leaves me with some money to help out with rent etc..

Comment

Don't get me wrong.. the AZ is the most amazing guitar I have personally ever tried and if it wasnt for financial issues, I would keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I always thought stock Mexican Strats sounded like their American counterparts just stock. These days, you'd need noiseless pickups- the higher end USA Strats all have them.
                    Disagree

NONE of the good American strats have the noiseless series pups (which are quiet but very meh)

Fender CS true single coils is where it's at
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by contiContiCONTI View Post
                      Don't get me wrong.. the AZ is the most amazing guitar I have personally ever tried and if it wasnt for financial issues, I would keep it.
                      That's fair enough, I just wondered why you'd want to downgrade looking for something you should be able to achieve with the Ibanez.

If the fat 50s didn't do it for you in the AZ, you may also end up with the same issue in a strat. Depends on the guitar and what your idea of that "American" sound is. I hope that won't be the case though

Comment

Thanks a lot to everyone! There is a Fender Classic Player 60s for sale near me. Anyone have experience with this guitar?
                        I’ve got that guitar in Faded Sonic Blue, it’s a great Strat. Very good build quality, it’s got a flatter board abs bigger frets than vintage, 2-post Trem which is my preference but with the stamped saddles and CS69 pickups.

The other MIM should be a nice guitar too. The Fat 50’s will be a little thicker and louder than the 69s. I think you should buy both of they both play well.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I’ve got that guitar in Faded Sonic Blue, it’s a great Strat. Very good build quality, it’s got a flatter board abs bigger frets than vintage, 2-post Trem which is my preference but with the stamped saddles and CS69 pickups.

The other MIM should be a nice guitar too. The Fat 50’s will be a little thicker and louder than the 69s. I think you should buy both of they both play well.
                          Thank you for he suggestion. The one in sale is also Sonic Blue. Looks incredible. Going to try it out today.. if I dig it I'll buy it.

Comment

A got myself a used MIM 2008 Strat a couple of years ago. It was affordable enough for the wife to not care about it. It plays super nice and with a pickup swap it sounds great, but I have to say the stock pickups were not bad at all for my taste.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Thank you for he suggestion. The one in sale is also Sonic Blue. Looks incredible. Going to try it out today.. if I dig it I'll buy it.
                              Did you end up buying either?
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X