Acoustic dreadnaught, fretbuzz around neckjoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic dreadnaught, fretbuzz around neckjoint

Well, my trusty 2006 Farida steel-string, has developed what I've heard is a rather common phenomena;

string buzzing around the neck joint, 12-15 fret.

It's no big deal, as I play mainly chords and rhythm; but was of major annoyance today when I had to play lead lines.

What is the cure for this? Can a trussrod adjustment make things good again, or does the frets need to be worked on?

Thanks

-Erlend ♪
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Could be truss rod, although I find that once set I rarely need to adjust them.

Tune the guitar up. Push down the low E string at the first fret and the 14th fret. There should be a very tiny amount of space under the 6th fret . . . around the thickness of a business card. If there's more space then give a slight tightening (1/8th) turn of the truss rod, let it sit for a couple hours, and then try again. If there's no space then give a slight (1/8th) loosening turn of the truss rod, let it sit for a couple hours, and then try again.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Guitars often develop a hump there. The fix is either leveling the frets, or if it’s more severe removing the frets, planing the board, and refretting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always found this difficult to diagnose without the guitar in hand. Sometimes it is a simple truss rod adjustment, and other times it is fretboard leveling.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Does it buzz on some strings or all of them?
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
            Does it buzz on some strings or all of them?
            Worst on the three treble strings.

The neck bow is just as it should be;

I guess a fret dress might be the cure. But I'll let it sit for now, because I don't have the money for a luthier to service it.

Maybe I could try to do it myself, if I had the right tools...

but OK! No worries. Guitar still plays great up to the 12th fret. I will have it fixed, when I can afford a solution.

Thanks! ♪

-Erlend
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Usually fret buzz past the body join on an acoustic cannot be treated with a trussrod adjustment - this part is off the neck technically. Because of the overall geometry of acoustics and the effect of rotational torque (strings pulling on the bridge), this often distorts the top (and the fingerboard in the upper fret area) over time, which has an effect on the playability of the upper frets. Old guitars often have a bit of exaggerated bellying. Changes in humidity can also cause/exacerbate this, something to keep an eye on.

Keep in mind that most acoustics (even flattops) have subtle doming built into the soundboard for strength, so it's never a 100% flat surface to begin with. So using some kind of straight edge is not the best means of diagnosing.

Dressing the frets, raising the saddle slightly on one side or adjusting humidity levels may be some fixes. But yes, if you're unsure, taking it to an expert and having them assess it is a sure way to diagnose.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
              X